Sign in to follow this  

Tires

So i ride a crf 450 and want to know what tires you have found to work best in sand, mud, hard pack, and on a nice dirt track. something that wears well, lasts a while and doesnt chunk apart real quick. thanks.

So i ride a crf 450 and want to know what tires you have found to work best in sand, mud, hard pack, and on a nice dirt track. something that wears well, lasts a while and doesnt chunk apart real quick. thanks.

When you get the info your looking for on this thread...start another one asking what kind of oil to use :applause:

Sorry, your question will get a hundred different responses. I'll start by recommending the Maxxis IT...wears slow, handles all terrain and it's decently priced.

Geez,

you want a do it all tire?

Keep dreaming......and be sure to let me know when you find one that works best in sand, mud, hard pack and "on a nice dirt track".

FYI, tires are made specifically for certain types of soil.

I use Dunlops. 773 works good in sand and mud.

The 756 works pretty well in sand and best on intermediate dirt/loam.

The 739 works best on hard pack.

I haven't had a 952 yet but they are supposed to last longer. They also supposedly work better over a wider variety of soils.

Dunlops work great for racing when new but wear pretty fast.

Where you get the info your looking for on this thread...start another one asking what kind of oil to use :applause:

Sorry, your question will get a hundred different responses. I'll start by recommending the Maxxis IT...wears slow, handles all terrain and it's decently priced.

I agree, they wear better than most more expensive tires, and get decent traction on all types of terrain.

Geez,

you want a do it all tire?

Keep dreaming......and be sure to let me know when you find one that works best in sand, mud, hard pack and "on a nice dirt track".

FYI, tires are made specifically for certain types of soil.

I use Dunlops. 773 works good in sand and mud.

The 756 works pretty well in sand and best on intermediate dirt/loam.

The 739 works best on hard pack.

I haven't had a 952 yet but they are supposed to last longer. They also supposedly work better over a wider variety of soils.

Dunlops work great for racing when new but wear pretty fast.

Im not saying one good for all, i want one good for each so i can put em on some rims. have a few sets so i dont change tires only change rims.

I've used Bridgestones, Pirellis, Michelin's, Maxxis, Kendas, Cheng shins, Dunlops etc. I've yet to find a tire that works as well as a DUNLOP right off the shelf in the conditon it is meant for, but you will be sorely dissappointed if you expect it to last for several months. Of course, they are best when their front edge is sharp. After about 5-10 hours, I can notice a change in the effectiveness of the tire as the knob gets rounded off. You can turn the tire around and get that square edge back. It won't last as long as when the tire was new. Tires have a life.....expect it, accept it.

I will say, even on rocky tracks, my "meant for soft terrain" Dunlops have held up remarkably well. Case in point, last year we had a really sloppy mud race at a notoriously hard packed track. The goo on top of the hard soil had everyone scrambling for a good traction setup. 739's are the tire most people used there on a dry day; Well, they were gumming up for everyone. They have a close configuration on the knobs to get as much rubber down on the hard stuff as possible to give some traction but that doesn't allow for such good self-cleaning characteristics. I've been there before in simliar conditions and it was like racing with hockey pucks for tires. I gambled. I rode with my 773's as the sun was coming out that morning after a nightime torrential downpour and drying the track. I simply didn't have time to get tires changed again after the morning practice (I had an early moto). The wind picked up and the track quickly dried out and some really tacky areas through the corners formed into chutes that led to "the blue groove". The tires held up ok and didn't chunk on me. Is it what I would choose everytime........NO. The gamble paid off though and I won the morning moto.

Dunlops are really good tires. Everyone has a story about a tire not getting the job done in a certain circumstance but I think they are consistent overall and offer the greatest performance and the greatest range of tires for varying conditions. That being said, I wish they held up better to abuse.....but you can't have everything. If you are looking for a tire to put on and leave on.......there are probably better/cheaper choices out there.

Round ones?

The Dunlop AT has some HIGH mileage to it. For one you give up the other. Hard tires give up traction, soft tires give up life.

Life is funny like that.

Thanks to all... i might go buy some dunlops for some racing this year. What would be a good sand tire to use for practicing? my local track is sand??