Sign in to follow this  

Mixing gas for a 2 stroke.....

I just picked up a new 85SX for my son last night and haven't mixed gas in over 25 years and even then, my Dad was doing it for me...they told me to mix at 40:1. Can anybody tell me what how much oil that is PER GALLON of gas?

Any need to run anything higher than 87 octane? My bike needs 91 so I generally run 91 in the kids bikes as well.

I need to break out my "ratio-rate" cup....where is that damn thing!! :applause:

Welcome back.

40:1 is 3.2 ounces oil per gallon of gas.

most oil is in 16 ounce container so it goes in 5 gallons of gas

dave

Thanks....I went out and found my ratio-rite in the garage....couldn't be much easier. :applause:

If I mix up 5 gallons worth of pre-mix, how long will it last? Meaning....if I mix up 5 gallons this weekend and I only use 2 gallons, how long before the other 3 gallons needs to be used or tossed? :lol:

not sure what kinf of oil you are mixing but when i mix blendzall i mix one bottle to 5 gallons. i have plenty of other friends that use the same oil with the same mixing and have never had an engine problem due to a mix failure ( to lean ) good luck, scott

32:1 eh...? Hmmmm....I'm just going off what the dealer recommended. They said 40:1. They also have the jetting set up a run "a little bit rich" (his words) at sea level. All I know is I've been very happy with the way they have my 400EXC running.

I'm not disagreeing with you because I know very lil' about this stuff and I'm not afraid to admit it. I need to soak up all the knowledge I can.

What would be a good sign that 40:1 is too lean (or vice versa) and make me alter the mix to 32:1?

my sister has the same ktm and the book says 40:1 so thats what i'm gonna run in it. it shouldnt make much of a difference, i used to run 40:1 religiously in my 125 and after one of my top ends went i switched to 32:1 and i didnt notice any difference. just make sure your running at least high octane pump gas, 2 strokes hate that low octane crap. (oh and don't use that super tech mix oil from walmart, it doesnt mix with the gas.)

Run it at 32:1. You should not have to mess with the jetting at all, or at most move the clip on the needle a notch. I try to mix quanitites so I use it all up in two weeks or so.

you can pick up this cool mixing tool for about $ 6 bucks at any dealership. It is call the Ratio-Rite. It works really good and has all the ratio's on it for your oil and tells you how much gas you need. later tja

32:1 is your basic mix for 2 strokes. Can't really go wrong with it. It does depend on the bike sometimes. I'm not KTM guy, so I don't know what they are running. Best bet is to call up a local dealer and see what they suggest. 40:1 runs a little lean, but works.

Mix it like the manufacturer says and all should be OK. If they say 40:1, then that's what I'ld run unless there was some specific reason to change it. Both my euro bikes recommend 50:1 full synthetic. Seems to work out fine.

If I mix up 5 gallons worth of pre-mix, how long will it last?

Stabil has helped us tremendously. Used to go 'bad' in less than 2 months where we live. The literature says it is fine for pre-mix.

ktm mixes are always on the lean side...i used to run 40:1 in my 125 but have since switched to 32:1 and may go richer for the wide open snow and ice riding

If I mix up 5 gallons worth of pre-mix, how long will it last? Meaning....if I mix up 5 gallons this weekend and I only use 2 gallons, how long before the other 3 gallons needs to be used or tossed? :applause:

If you dont use some kind of a fuel stabilizer the fuel will go bad in 30 days. I would be carefull how much premix gas you dump in your car or truck. If its 1 gallon of premix and 19 gallons of straight gas you will be OK, but dont dump much more premix than that in because it will plug up your catalytic converter.