Sign in to follow this  

Air In The Forks?

Need a little help...

I have heard that forks need to have "atmospheric air pressure." I guess that this means the pressure in the forks should be the same as the pressure outside the forks.

I know that there is an air release on the top of the forks....shoulld I be releasing the air after riding?

Thanks

Here goes.

Put your bike up on a stand with the front wheel off the ground. This ensures you get the proper air chamber volume vs pressure.

Insert a screwdriver that fits perfectly into the small screw.

Tap gently on top of the screwdriver with a hammer a couple of times to break the seal. Undo the screw and listen to the air psssst out.

Once the air is fully out retighten the screw. DO NOT overtighten. If the screw is all worn, a replacement can be bought for a few dollars.

You should do this at the start of evety ride and in the middle of the day if possible. This keeps your forks as plush as possible and avoids excessive pressure build up in bottoming situations which could lead to blown seals.

I just got the stealth racing titanium ones last night.What i like about them is they are a hand tightened knob instead of a 1 way valve that can get water and dirt and dust in it.Then corrode or clog up if left over the winter like that