Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Chad Reed was better on the 250.

I was watching a number of races here lately since it has been too cold to be outside for long. I have a bunch of races from 2001- present, and found a tape that had maybe a half-dozen Supercross races from 2005. This was the last year that all the fastest guys, except Windham, rode their factory 250 2-strokes. Stewart was hurt in round 2, but came back at Orlando. RC had a points lead to protect, Reed was trying hard to make up points. So, all the top guys were riding hard in those events near the end of the season. It was cool to see Reed right in the mix at almost every round. He ran down RC from a straightaway back at one race. He won 3 of the last 7 rounds, and not because RC or #7 crashed. He finished second twice. At 3 of the final 7 rounds, Reed posted the fastest lap in the Main. All of this data comes from the AMA website, archived results page.

I know that Reed is trying hard these days, too. But the results indicate that he was more competetive when aboard the 250 than he is now on the 450. I am not saying he was FASTER on the 250, as only back-to-back testing these days would decide, but he was in the fight every race when most all of his competetion was all on 250s.

I don't think he was faster on a 250. He's the same speed if not a little faster than he was back then. But James and Ricky have taken their riding and speed to a new level. Reed simply can't match it.

You mean the racing was better on the 250's ,

the tracks are now made to be run wide open on 450's

only r.c. ,bubba & reed (sometimes) can do that

the lap times are now in the mid 40's

they were @ about 1 min.

Now a 4 sec lead is the length of an entire straight.

you call that good racing ?

In 04 Chad had the best bike of anyone. In 05 he had to start over with the new model. I think if everyone was still on the 250s and Chad had his 04 bike or even a fully tested and dialed in 07, and they were still riding two stroke style tracks he would be a multi time champ by now. RC and Buba can ride a four stroke a little better than Chad can at the moment. Chad was very fast on the 250, but when you throw in a 450 and newer style tracks, hes having a slight transiton problem.

Well Chad just threw a lap time a second faster than Stewarts best in Daytona practice 1. Maybe he is finally getting back to the old Chad.

Agreed!

:applause:

Maybe he should race the outdoors too!

I wouldn't get too excited over practice lap times.

If Reed was truly faster on a 250, then he would still be riding a 250. I'm pretty sure that Yamaha was there comparing lap times on both bikes when he was deciding with one to ride.

Yes Im sure Reed is faster on the 450 than what he would be on the 250. But, if every body was on the 250 two strokes and they were running the old tracks, Reed would be a real threat all of the time not just once in a while.

In the old days they had real Whoops. Now there's small washboard bumps so the cheater bikes they can pin it or just jump into them without tossing it away like they did at first. I miss the 250s.

Craigus

Keep in mind that I did not say Reed was faster on the 250, but that when RC and Stewart also rode 250s, Reed was more competetive. He is having more trouble adapting to the 450 than the other two top guys. Good observation about the track changes that were made to accomodate the 4 strokes. My brother and I both agree that Reed had better corner speed on his totally dialed 2004 bike. At Indy that year, he was breathtakingly fast. That was the year that Reed crashed on the start, LaRocco holeshot and won. If Reed had maybe one or two more laps, he would have come from dead last to win, he was that fast ! He just doesn't quite have whatever RC and Stewart have going on with the 450 yet.