Sign in to follow this  

question about installing bbr spring crf100

Hi hoping someone has done this before , i want to replace the rear spring on a 05 crf 100 with the heavier bbr unit , i called them for suggestions , and was told that the 04-07 crf spring were not changable , you would have to cut the welds on the holder ,and compress the spring and reweld the holder back on , after thinking about it for a few minutes i called them back to ask what the height of their spring is, just to decide if i could do it realisticly myself, so i call back the next person i talked to said just send my shock to them and they would do it for like 10 bucks ,you just needed to use a really good spring compressor that they have and it didnt require cutting and welding etc .

Sooooo , if anyone knows for sure please reply and let me know , again supposably the 04-07 unit is different from the 03 and older units ?:applause:

so , let me ask this , can i replace the spring on an 05 myself ?

Or should i pay bbr to just do it , the thought of compressing a hd spring doesnt sound fun, but for all i know it might be easy without any special tools?

i emailed bbr about the delema ,so hopfully they will let me know for sure monday

Actually it's true.....for some odd reason Honda changed the rear shock in '04. Look on a microfiche, different part numbers. The springs on the new shocks are not removable.

well if it can come off, I have found that taking it to a Harley dealership works great. They have great spring comperssers and they did one for me for I think 20 bucks. yeh its more than bbr said that they would do it for, but if you figure in shipping and down time, its worth looking into.

they didnt email me back today , and i didn't have time to call them , i'll get to the bottom of it and find out for sure and post it back here .

What a pain in the butt

why can't things be easy some times

Ok , the conclusion from BBR is that all yr 100 shocks can be done without cutting /welding, you just need a compressor, im going to send a couple shocks upto them , and let change em.

and post back when i get them back .

I feel like im talking to myself , anyway if anyone is intrested , i pulled my shock off today , and the spring is removable , i can see a c-clip inside the holder so a bbr spring will work on all yrs

PS if anyone has a new or used spring for a good price i will take it asap

• Like 1