Sign in to follow this  

Any high mileage drz-400sm?

I've hurt a lot of great things about the reliability of the motor,has anyone put any substantial miles on one of these bikes?TIA.

8k in 13 months. ride mostly street. tried to blow it up one night. 95 mph for 25 highway miles. wanted a big bore, needless to say it still runs great with original inturnals. and never had the valve cover off.:applause:

15k in the first year, and that was with 3 months of not riding in the summer do to a broken leg.

I got only 3000k on my 06s but every mile has been driven hard with fcr and full yoshi system. From motocross track to street racing with street bikes to trails still runs like new ,valves still well in spec. Buddy with motocross bikes with alot less hours had to do full top end. One guy with 05cr250f had to his top end twice. My guess if I had hour meter would be 200 hours at least not much highway riding just around town where speed limit is 40km perfect for drz. I looked at these new dual sports and would love one but the drz is so well rounded bike not great anywhere but ok everywhere. If somebody would make a Drz that was lighter but still had the realiable and maintence scheldule I would buy it. One more thing got to be able two have passenger kids and wife like to go for rides also.

Bought mine new end of april 06, 11000 miles, no problems, not even a valve adjustment! put 1000 on it this weekend!(thurs-sun)

My '05 SM started burning oil following an 1800 mile road trip (1000 miles were highway at 80 mph, remaining miles were repeated full throttle runs thru Deal's Gap and Cherahola Skyway). I was changing the oil every 3-4000 miles, and did not check it during the trip :applause: All the high speed running resulted in oil being consumed thru the breather, and not much oil came out during an oil change when I got home. It then used a quart in 900 miles. :worthy: The bike had something like 9200 miles on it.

The piston and cylinder were scored, and I did not have the tools/expertise to tear the engine down further as others on TT advised me there would be more damage. The oil pump appeared to be working, so I put on a 94mm big bore, with new 1 piece valves, and the engine seized 275 miles into the break in. :lol:

I shipped it to Eddie, and he found a seized big end rod bearing on the crank. He rebuilt the engine with a stroker crank/5mm spacer, saved my cylinder and put in a new 94mm piston for 470cc's. He degreed the HC stage 2 IN/E model EX cams to work with the stroker. I've got an E exhaust, and a CVK40 carb jetted as per Freewheelers advice and changed the front sprocket to a 16T.

The engine is a TRACTOR as predicted by Eddie. :lol: It pulls very hard right off the bottom thru the mid range and then tapers off. I'm still figuring out when to shift, and it seems to love being short shifted. Initially the engine had much more vibration, and I've gotten used to it/or it's smoothed out some, and there are sweet spots at freeway speeds where it's smoother. I've been off the bike due to other injuries/and a long over due surgery, and am looking forward to getting familiar with the power band as the weather warms up. I've still got room to upgrade more when the finances get better.

The lesson in this story is FREQUENT oil changes.:naughty: The thing only hold 2 quarts, and oil is cheap. I think Eddie was explaining to me that the oil is the life blood of the engine when informing me the initial engine damage was oil related.:lol: Eddie and everyone else on TT was kind when helping me thru all this, and no one rubbed my nose in it:cry: It has been an expensive lesson both in money and time spent. But the engine now has all the mods (water pump fix, primary nut fix), I've learned a lot more about my engine, and those 2 little steel nubby things that enable the neutral light :ride:

So I now have a stack of oil filters, and am set for 1000 mile oil changes, and frequent oil checks when riding hard. I think the reliability will be just fine. :eek:

8k in 13 months. ride mostly street. tried to blow it up one night. 95 mph for 25 highway miles. wanted a big bore, needless to say it still runs great with original inturnals. and never had the valve cover off.:lol:

I went 250 Miles last weekend, all highway. I got the bike as far over as I could get it on knobbies. Right to the edge! Scary fast too.:lol:

Half of the miles where on highway going 80-90 mph on the stock S gearing. Very high rpm's. Ran like a champ too. Now that's reliability.:applause:

Mine was running great after 11,900 miles of hard riding. When it was pulled apart to do the BB the inside of the cylinder and piston looked perfect. They are just a SOLID piece of machinery.

CC

Paging vanram, 40,000+km on his. Believe he's done a valve job.

I am new to TT, but love the SM scene. I wish Suzuki would shoehorn the SV650 engine into the SM, but that will not happen.

At any rate, sorry for the threadjack. I have nearly 15K miles on mine, all service done, ridden hard, valves are always within specs...I was woried this single would only last 20K or so before an expensive rebuild. Thankfully, I now remember I am not dealing with Kawasaki anymore.

My concern is that I am a student and this is my daily vehicle, rain or shine...but 55K k/m? That is just crazy for a single. I think my '06 will be fine after all, as I am very anal with maintaining her.

Anyway, good to have a place to hang with fellow SM riders. I am addicted to 55+mpg and $400/year insurance so I plan on riding this baby until the wheels fall off.

(My other ride is an '07 650R Ninja)

My S model has just over 28,000 miles and still runs like new. Zero problems.

yes 27772 miles ive had it from new at the end of 02 very robust and relible