Sign in to follow this  

Brake and clutch levers for small hands

I have a TTR125 and I have a hard time reaching the brake and clutch levers with my fingers. My husband says I should always ride with two fingers on each, but it just feels so uncomfortable for me and I don't feel like I have much control over the bike. I think it is because the 2 fingers that I have extended out don't wrap around the levers. It is just too much of a reach because my hands aren't that big. I am trying to find some aftermarket levers that will work better for me. I saw some on a guy's bike that seemed to "indent" in and had rubber for better grip. Do any of you know of any levers that might work better for me?

Also, do you all ride with 2 fingers on each lever all the time?

YAY A MOTORCYCLE QUESTION!!!

You can do a couple of things: try different styles of levers, which range from $8 to $20 or more at the dealership. My favorites, which I think are MSR, have a "dip" right in the middle of them. Unfortunatley they cost more for KTMs so I've never shelled out the cash for them. Other than KTM levers (or anything else hydraulic clutch) pretty much most other levers are universal.

Or, for the el-cheapo method, saw off the end of yours and make it a shorty lever. I had one that broke leaving about 2, 2 1/2" left and I decided I really like it.

Thanks Firecracker. Do you ride with 2 fingers on the levers at all times? I am new to this and I am trying to form good habits from the beginning.

Thanks Firecracker. Do you ride with 2 fingers on the levers at all times? I am new to this and I am trying to form good habits from the beginning.

That is an excellent habit to work on. Keep your elbows up too--that's one I didn't learn right away, and still have to remind myself to do most of the time.

I ride with 1 finger on each. my KTM has a hydraulic clutch and is super easy to pull, and 2 fingers can be a bit too much front brake at times. :applause: 2 is good too though. Some people even use their middle and ring fingers instead of their index and middle fingers. As long as you cover the clutch/brake, find out what's most comfortable to you. You can also try rotating the levers downward or up more and see if that also improves the feel.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely need some levers with a "dip" as you called it. I think I do a pretty good job of holding my elbows up and I do keep my knees in and thighs around the bike and I stand up most of the time, so I think I am off to a pretty good start with the habits. I just need to get over my fear of riding down steep hills. I have found that sometimes when I am riding down them, sitting back on the bike and pull on the front brake that I accidentally twist the throttle, which is not a good thing when I am trying to go down a hill. I have had a couple of pretty big tumbles doing this.

By the way, I grew up in Colorado.... Littleton. I live in the Seattle area now... for the past 11 years.

I also ride with 1-2 fingers on the clutch and brake at all times. :applause:

Can you just take the levers off, put 'em in a vice, and bend them in 1/4 to 1/2 inch using a large hollow breaker bar? :lol: Seems like that would work for the brake, depends on where your clutch engages for the clutch lever...

Thanks for the advice. I definitely need some levers with a "dip" as you called it. I think I do a pretty good job of holding my elbows up and I do keep my knees in and thighs around the bike and I stand up most of the time, so I think I am off to a pretty good start with the habits. I just need to get over my fear of riding down steep hills. I have found that sometimes when I am riding down them, sitting back on the bike and pull on the front brake that I accidentally twist the throttle, which is not a good thing when I am trying to go down a hill. I have had a couple of pretty big tumbles doing this.

By the way, I grew up in Colorado.... Littleton. I live in the Seattle area now... for the past 11 years.

How funny. I grew up in Lake Chelan, lived in Spokane, Kent, Tacoma, Ellensburg and now here in Denver. I like both places :applause:

It depends on what I am riding and how well I can reach the levers. On my 80, I 1-finger on the 250F I do two.

ASV makes levers for the TTR. You can get a good price on refurbished ones off ebay. Look for the ASVInventions store. I haven't personally ridden with ASV levers yet but I want some. I plan to get them for my daughter's TTR. They are adjustable so we'll be able to move them as she grows.

"Carnies, you know circus folk. Small hands, smell like cabbage."

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm glad I'm glad I'm not the only one with tiny hands. I even have trouble finding gloves that fit. I had the shorty lever for awhile after I broke on off, it was actually pretty comfy. Now I just try and find levers that have the dip. And yes, I try and keep a finger on the clutch, two on the brake (two on the brake because I have a pretty messed up right hand without a lot of strength, otherwise I'd use one).

Sounds like you're doing a lot of things right with the standing and what not. Working on using the clutch is also a good skill to practice, it can really help you on steep up hills. Also, if your having trouble with steep downhills work on braking. Find some moderate hills, pull your clutch in and practice finding the right balance between front and rear brake. This can help keep the bike smooth and maybe will help with grabbing throttle on accident. Also, try and push your self back more with your legs and less with your arms. If your putting less pressure on your hands, there is less of a likely hood of grabbing that throttle.

But overall, sounds like your doing great. :applause:

The two things that helped me the most with downhills, were a friend who used to race mountain bikes, and riding down steep stuff out in the desert where there isn't much to hit. Once you get used to the slope there, it transfers to trails pretty easily. The friend I used to ride with, her name is Mikki Douglass and you may meet her if you ride Taneum much--she's an ORV ranger for the Cle Elum district, and she also organizes all the Forest Service volunteer stuff (great thing to be involved in, if you're interested). I'll dig up her web page, can't think of it offhand. Anyway tell her Hi if you ever run into her. She's a phenomenal rider and a total crackup to talk to.

I use the ASV levers:

http://asvinventions.com/levers_order/

I know I keep a certain amount of fingers on my clutch and brake levers at all times, I just can't tell you how many or which ones, cause I really don't pay attention:bonk: If that makes sense, and I can't tell you until I ride again and pay attention to myself.

With the ASV, I like that I can adjust them in quite a bit and it doesn't make my hand as tired when using it, I use the clutch A LOT.

BTW, if I remember correctly, they were kinda pricey, like around $60 each I think. But, I do like them. If anything, just get the clutch 1st maybe.

Good luck........

You should be keeping one finger on each lever. Some prefer 2 on the clutch side, but for the brake you should only need one.

Also ASV levers have adjustable reach, which would accommodate your smaller hands. The only downfall is they are a bit pricey, but hey at least you wont have to worry about breaking a lever.

LoL I keep 2 on the clutch and one on the brake as I'm afraid if I use 2 on the brake, I'll grab too much too quick and end up on my head!

I have the ASV levers for my clutch on my CRF150. I love it! It's adjustable and a much better fit for me. I had problems with reaching my levers and it's helped a ton. When I got the lever, they didn't make the brake lever for the CRF150, but I believe they do now. I keep two fingers over the clutch and usually one over the brake. I don't want to grab the break to much and sometimes I have the throttle/brake problem. I need to get the ASV lever for that still. (And, yes, they are a bit spendy, but they won't break and if they do, ASV will replace them. My BF broke his and they replaced it for free.) See if they have a combo set for you- those are priced a little better.

If you'll roll the brake lever forward a bit more, you'll have less of a problem getting on the throttle...it force you to roll your hand forward to brake :applause: or at least it does me!

Thanks to all of you for your input. My husband ordered the ASV levers and I am hoping to try them out this weekend!!

Good levers are ASV levers, they are expensive about 65 a piece. My boyfriend has them on his bike and they are smaller and closer. They also are never suppose to break. There is a warranty up to 3 years.

linds

Thanks to all of you for your input. My husband ordered the ASV levers and I am hoping to try them out this weekend!!

Good, I am glad you are going to try those....

I tried to pay attention this weekend to what fingers I used on the levers.

I figured out, I use my middle finger on the front brake lever at all times and keep my pinky and ring finger on the clutch at all times(or out and ready to use) and then add the middle and index finger when needed(panic clutch)

very weird I know(backwards probably), you may not want to duplicate my bad habits.......

I hope your new levers work for you........

Good luck, (try NOW to get in the correct habit)