Sign in to follow this  

17"tires choices formy xr 650r

just bought new 17" excel rims for my 2000 xr650r

the rear rim is 4.5

ideas for tire combos? ( no racing or such maybe a a track day but mostly commuting and weekend rides.)

i was thinking Diablo corsas or pilot powers....

other suggestions??

thanks

to clarify.... what size... i should be able to squeeze a 160( as in no chain rub) on there... but a 150 would be a safer bet correct?

\

I just brought a set of rims, i have a 4.5, i went with the 150 as i wasn't too sure how much room there would be. If i went the 160 i would have needed to send them back to move the rim over, a 160 would have rubbed the chain as is. Its a dr650 & the tyre is an Avon Distanzia.:applause:

looksbloodygoodtome.jpg

maxxis goldspeeds you can run a 160 with no chain rubbing motard specific tire the tire profile is more arched with more lean angle

DSC01667.jpg

I just put some Avon Distanzias on my bike. I cant begin to describe how much I love these tires. I went through a couple of sets of contiforce SMs. I wish I would have gone with the distanzias much sooner. The bike handles so well on the street and they work well in the dirt also. They also get some pretty funny looks at the red light.:worthy:

Interesting to read, I am putting Distanzias on my 690 on Monday.

i have a 150 rear on my 4.25 in on my marchesini's and there isant a whole lot of room. I bought a set of Continental contiforce, there a awsome tire for the summer! Stick really good on dry pavement, and even good on dirt roads. They are really soft, but they have a nice deap tread.

Don't get too hung up on the bigger 160 tire if you don't gots the clearance.

The 150 size on 4.25x17" or 4.50x17" rims is just fine. 160's are a better fit on bikes running a 5.0x17" rim. Plenty of good sport rubber choices in the 150 and 160 sizes so don't sweat having the bigger 160 size.