Sign in to follow this  

starting gate pick advantage?

i dont race so i guess i am stupid, but what is the advantage of the middle or left right whatever when choosing a gate?

It depends on the first corner. A 180 first corner is usually better to line up on the inside of so that your already on the inside when everyone starts pushing over for the corner. Other corners may provide a better line throught the first turn by lining up in the middle, but if you don't come out of the gate well you may get swallowed up by the bikes on both sides of you. Other corners may allow you to pick an outside gate and leave the gas on around the pack as everyone compresses to the inside of the first corner. Your jump out of the gate is not always quite as important on the outside, but you have to be willing to leave it on a lot longer than everyone on the inside and not be scared off by that....

a lot also depends on what class your racing, as beginner class i always pick the outside b/c no one is that fast at turning a sharp corner and you can get away from the pack and steadlily pass the traffic jam

A good idea is to camp out by the first turn for a while. Look at where the pile ups happen, and who, in terms of gate position, gets caught in them and who doesn't.

It also depends on you and your bike. If you can get the hole shot, pick a spot that gives you the best bite, and the best set up for your favorite line through the turn. Then get in front and remember to slow down enough to make the turn.

If you think you'll be in a crowd in the first turn, and you're better at railing turns than swing through on the inside, take that into account.