Sign in to follow this  

Another Gps Question

This may seem like a stupid question to most of you, but i know there has got to be someone else on the same page i am.....LOST. :applause:

OKAY, i got a GPS for christmas from the girlfriend. The Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. I want to use it for trail riding, to be able to see a map or something.

MY BIG QUESTION IS, HOW???? What do all you do with your GPS's. Mine has a basic map that has virtually no details, only major roads and highways. Then i see that Garmin sells a program with the TOPO maps for about 100 bucks. Is that what i need to get? Is it worth 100 big ones or is there a better way to go, regardless of the price. better yet is there something i can get on the internet for free.

BASICALLY WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS ELECTRONIC GADGET??? AND HOW DO I USE IT AS ANOTHER TOY TO TAKE RIDING and PLAY WITH?????

It almost seems kinda worthless. I took it riding once and when i got back to my truck i got to see a sqiggly line, representing where i had been. Woopdee Doooo!!!!!

So someone please enlighten me :lol:

I use mine to mark where the truck is. I have a Magellan and it draws a map as you ride, that way you can see where you've been. I also like the odometer feature, so I can keep track of how I'm going to feel the day after a ride..LOL.

Whether or not you buy the SW depends on how much map detail you want or need.

If all you are using it for is to keep you from getting lost (so you can find your way back to the truck) you don't need the detailed topo map. Just set a 'waypoint' at the truck, and then either leave the device on (to track your route as you go) or turn it off, and you always will (assuming you know how to use it) be able to find your way 'home'.

If you want to detail of the topo map, you'll have to shell out the $100 for the SW. Several of my buddies and I have Garmins and we use one set of CDs to download the detailed map data to the handheld units.

This may seem like a stupid question to most of you, but i know there has got to be someone else on the same page i am.....LOST. :applause:

OKAY, i got a GPS for christmas from the girlfriend. The Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. I want to use it for trail riding, to be able to see a map or something.

MY BIG QUESTION IS, HOW???? What do all you do with your GPS's. Mine has a basic map that has virtually no details, only major roads and highways. Then i see that Garmin sells a program with the TOPO maps for about 100 bucks. Is that what i need to get? Is it worth 100 big ones or is there a better way to go, regardless of the price. better yet is there something i can get on the internet for free.

BASICALLY WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS ELECTRONIC GADGET??? AND HOW DO I USE IT AS ANOTHER TOY TO TAKE RIDING and PLAY WITH?????

It almost seems kinda worthless. I took it riding once and when i got back to my truck i got to see a sqiggly line, representing where i had been. Woopdee Doooo!!!!!

So someone please enlighten me :lol:

By the way... if you ever are truly lost, that 'squiggly line' that shows where you've been and how to get back is a BEAUTIFUL THING... regardless of the level of map detail you have.

I use mine for the stats of my ride, as insurance against getting lost, and I'll use my previously entered waypoints (from earlier rides) to help me navigate to new areas. My unit's "base" map is blank with no options for adding features. (Garmin Fortrex 101).

It's worth it's weight in gold in the dunes. In low fuel or low water situations it's invaluable for bee-lineing it back to camp.