Sign in to follow this  

why does kawi hate me?

i have an 06 kawasaki kx250f i bought used last july... hasnt run right since the day i bought it... first it was the stator, then the water pump, then the head gasket, then the intake cam, then the radiator hose, then the head... so i went and bought a new head, new valves, cv4 hose kit, wiseco piston, gaskets, hotcams, stator and now it wont fire... it has spark, a TON of compression, and fuel, but WILL NOT fire... please dear god someone help me... it has run MAYBE 5 hours in the last year.... timing is good, everything is perfect, but it will not fire... it almost feels like it has too much compression... i wish i could just sell it and start fresh but i cant sell or trade a non running bike...

Make sure your timing is correct. 28 pins dot to dot.

timing is spot on... it feels like there is a rough spot when kicking it, but the mechanic at the shop i work at says that it feels like stock, and that the high compression is what makes it so hard to kick...

if it doesn't fire check the wire harness..and the coil...and check the CDI box...feel bad that all that stuff happened...check to see if the stator is installed correctly...this could be the reeason why u dnt get any spark...or if the spark isn't timed correctly ...

it gets a spark... i have all three variables but it will not fire... i think i may just take it to a stealership... i work for a kawi dealer and i am the service manager, but apparently it is beyond my realm and my mechanics realm

Is everything in spec in the head? You said timing was good, valve clearances?

If all thats good, you said it was getting spark, the spark could not be timed correctly?

Check that it is getting fuel and air, mabye a carb cleaning is in order?

If your three things are in spec, Compression-Spark-Fuel & Timing are all correct there is no reason it should not fire...

well if it hasnt been running for a while tear the carb apart and clean everything. grease up the hotstart, make sure nothing is worn out, adjust your idle and throttle cables and everything and see if that helps. and if your gas has been sitting in the tank or can for a while get rid of it put it in your car or somethin but run new gas. and you might even want to run 50/50 with some c-12 or similar race gas so you dont get any detonation with the new high comp piston.

Oh my God, you are singing to the choir! :applause: I just installed a new auto-clutch on mine, rode it for a few hours, everything was good. Te next day it would not start. I've checked everything! Valves are in spec, drained the gas and put fresh in, cams timing is correct, carb is OK, spark is strong, new plug

I've kicked it probably about 1000 times over the past week. I left it outside last night hoping someone would steal it, but it's still there. :lol:

Like you, I would love to sell it but I'm sure the buyer would expect it to start.

The only think I can't check is the CDI. It's gettinga spacrk, but could it be out of time? I don't know but it's driving me crazy. :lol: Let me know what you find and I'll do the same.

it gets a spark... i have all three variables but it will not fire... i think i may just take it to a stealership... i work for a kawi dealer and i am the service manager, but apparently it is beyond my realm and my mechanics realm

So, you work for a dealership, as a service manager?.. You and or "your" mechanic cannot figure it out?... Your going to take it to a dealership now?

Ah, where do you work as a service manager?

timing is spot on... it feels like there is a rough spot when kicking it, but the mechanic at the shop i work at says that it feels like stock, and that the high compression is what makes it so hard to kick...

Your auto decompressor is not working. mine was the same way. On mine, the exhaust cam was not lined up right. If you pull the cover off, check and make sure the exhaust cam lobee line up exactly in the middle of the shim bucket, just like the intakes. There is a half moon like flange that goes in the slot on the cam cap which MUST go into the the groove on the cam journal. Mine was on the inside of the cam journal, not the groove. I took the cap off, moved the cam over and it was easy to kick over. I still can't get mine started, but at least its easy to kick now with the decomp working.

I can't belive your mechanic didn't know that. Mechanics like that are why I've never taken any of my dirt bikes to the dealer. This problem is the first one I haven't figured out. But I'm not giving up yet. Let me know if you find out what it is.

I'd probably part out my bike and buy something else before I take it to a Kawi dealer. Probably a new KTM, my '00 EXC has been VERY reliable. My son's KX100 has been a good bike too, but this KX250f is a POS!

I feel your pain limegreen. Bought an 04 250f on 8/13/2010 and meter says 21hrs. heres the little i know, my bike ran tits for about 12hrs. 5th gear pinned while riding and it just shut off. Cdi bad $389 ran fine but kicks like its a worn out yz 80. No compression at all. so i checked it , its actually higher than the usable values given in service man. Ive learned with my bike that if im not at exact tdc and give it a FULL kick that bitch wont start no matter what. im sure your aware of that, but it solved my dilema.

good luck

Are you f'n kidding??

Wow this was an old post. 4 years ago. He probly does not own the bike anymore.

Wow this was an old post. 4 years ago. He probly does not own the bike anymore.

Yeah, I didn't notice the original date.

Hopefully he's not a Kawi service manager anymore either. That's a bit scary!

Well its not uncommon for a manager to not know the inner workings of the engine. Whats scary is none of the techs there could help him out. Its not not a huge surprise though. Being in the industry myself for 16 years there is not to many people I would even trust to touch one of my bikes. I hope the guy finds this post. I am kinda curios as to what was wrong with the bike.

I have a similar dilemma. I reassembled my 06 KX250F, checked the notch through the ignition cover (TDC), checked the dot placement and counted 28 pins. I reinstalled the camchain tensioner, went to kick it over to make sure everything was functioning. It kicked once or twice with no issue, not trying to start it, just moving the pieces around to check for anything that felt or sounded wrong. It then stopped and is obviously jammed up. The lobe on the intake cam is in down position on the valve bucket.

This was the first time getting into a 4-stroke engine (top end rebuild), so I am prepared to hear I missed something that should be readily apparent. Is there anyway that I am not at TDC but the notch is lining up as if it is? Something else? Really appreciate your time.

Can you roll the motor over backwards to unlock the motor. Sounds like the piston hit the valve due to being out of time. Something may have jumped a tooth or two.

Edited by Alan267

I didn't even try, I've already removed the cam covers, and re-oriented the cams. I'm brainstorming before I just reassemble, likely recreating the same problem.

Can you put it back together and show me a with a photo of the timing marks. Put it up here or PM it to me. That will really help. Its really simple, theres just something not aligned correct.