Sign in to follow this  

XR 400 Edelbrock Pumper Problem

I bought a '02 XR 400. The original owner had replaced the stock carb with an Edelbrock Pumper. He no longer had the manual or stock carb. Problem is the bike will not start with out firing some carb cleaner/ether into the airbox. Once warm the bike starts on first kick almost always. Recently had a complete top end re-build by my local Honda shop. Problem persists. They are blaming the carb, but do not know how to set it up or resolve. I have contacted Edelbrock directly and got their techline vm. They have not called me back yet. Edelbrock home page suggest accelerator pump is the source for starting, but it doesn't give any info about setting or adjusting. I'm not the best wrench in the world, so novice advice is deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

What is your starting routine? I always give my Eddelbrock 3 to 5 quick throttle twists when cold before I kick it over. I even sometimes hold the compression release and kick it over 5 or 6 times. It usually starts 2 or 3 kick.

There are some fine tuning secrets that you can get from Eddelbrock about adjusting your carb. They can send them to you but if your bike starts good after warm it is probably notto far off. Good luck.

Thanks, but I tried everything. What you discribed is pretty much my routine and this thing will not start cold at all. Here it is:

1) Compression release - kick through 5-10 times

2) Turn idle screw up several turns

3) Twist throttle 3-5 times

4) TDC Kick for all I'm worth.

Nothing works. Mechs at Honda couldn't get it to fire with out the Carb Cleaner assist.

Try only turning idle up a couple of turns, & check to make sure your float needle is not stuck closed...tap on the float boal a few times. Usualy that's the problem i have had. More info might help...Any mods to the bike?...Do you have the needle adjuster?(spring loaded thumb screw that screws into the top of the carb)...Do you know what needle is in the carb?...It might just be too lean.

Sounds like you just need to get the instructions from Eddelbrock and adjust your carb. You probably need to add a little to your pumper circuit. I have the instructions and could fax them to you????? I lost mine last year and they faxed them to me from Eddelbrock. It is easy to adjust but you really need the instructions to trouble shoot your bike and also some things adjust backwards from what is logical. Let me know. Mine is on a 250 but I am sure the adjustments would be the same???

Chris, I have electronic versions of the instructions. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you.

Peace,

Robert

was it hard to start before the rebuild.?

it sounds like the spark may be weak. check the resistor in the spark plug boot for proper value. I can send you the value but I am on the road for another week and do not haqve access to my manual.

if that is okay and the plug is good you might consider having a shop checkout the CDI output.

Thanks for all the help folks.

I will try tapping on the float bowl. That would seem to make sense since the cold start issue seems to be all or nothing. I am not sure what needle I have in it as I have zero documentation from the original owner and he has moved. I haven't heard back from Edelbrock yet, but hopefully the electronic copy from Porterdog will help. Keep the ideas coming. This is a great forum. I have already received more help than I got spending several hours in the Honda shop.

I owe you all one!

My first thought is that the pump needs to be adjusted for more fuel delivery.