Sign in to follow this  

Finally got my FCR today!

w00t, now I just have to wait another 3 weeks before I can get home, install it and: knobbies, exhaust, bars, lights, 14:47, new chain, rimlocks, etc... then bring it back here and hit the dirt.

I took the infamous plastic cover off, and it seems like there's a fair amount of dainty looking plastic devices under there; the cam and rocker for the accel pump, more specifically, which would probably find grime between the operating surfaces somewhat of a bother.

Anyone leaving this thing in place? It seems to be very low profile, what exactly is it making contact with that neccesitates its removal?

Anyone leaving this thing in place? It seems to be very low profile, what exactly is it making contact with that neccesitates its removal?

I refitted mine after having problems with the throttle wheel touching the frame.

It is not difficult to fit, but you may need to use some force to get it in place.

Personally I would never again ride a DRZ with the FCR-MX without that cover in place.

I did for a while, then the throttle stuck open :eek: never again

Neil. :applause::lol: :lol:

We'll see how it fits w/the tolerances on my bike; could probably grind some off the cover if it's too close. I gotta assume the cover fully contacts the frame when installed.

Thanks Neil.

I gotta assume the cover fully contacts the frame when installed.

It may, or may not, mine made contact in one small place, but that was where the throttle wheel touched.

It was pushing against the frame, but it didn't take the paint off the frame, or rub the plastic away.

My FCR is now on a friends KTM Duke 2, and the plastic shows no wear.

Personally if you can get it in I would not worry about it contacting the frame.

w00t, now I just have to wait another 3 weeks before I can get home, install it and: knobbies, exhaust, bars, lights, 14:47, new chain, rimlocks, etc... then bring it back here and hit the dirt.

I took the infamous plastic cover off, and it seems like there's a fair amount of dainty looking plastic devices under there; the cam and rocker for the accel pump, more specifically, which would probably find grime between the operating surfaces somewhat of a bother.

I've got mine setting in the garage waiting for bits-n-pieces to come in the mail. :applause:

WOO HOO FCR! :lol:

Eddie says leave it off.

I say leave it off at least until you have the carb all dialed in. Once the carb is in place, you can get the cover on, with some swearing and pushing and more swearing. Getting it back off is worse.

I put mine back on as others did to provide peace of mind with the proximity of the frame to throttle wheel.

Getting it back off is worse.

Easy, remove the shoulder screw on the right side, reach through from the left side

with a large flat screwdriver, hold it against the edge of the cover, and push.

Once it is off the back edge of the carb it lifts out.

I threw the plastic cover away, no problems. I think most do toss it but do what your feel best. Don't want you cussing me if something goes wrong. I have about a quarter inch beween the frame and wheel and am comfortable with that.

CC

I have about a quarter inch beween the frame and wheel and am comfortable with that.

CC

Most I could get was 2 mm, that's why I put the cover back on.

Shame I waited until a jammed throttle scared me out of 10 years of life :eek::naughty:

I also re fitted the return throttle cable at the same time.

I also discarded the plastic on the 39 (though I retained the piece so the person I sold the 39 to will be getting it). By the way, the 41 was a lot harder to get the jet/needle combo right. The needles used are way different. The jetting did not turn out to be straight forward. Probably due to the configuration being more complex now though. My 3x3 is history... most of the top of the airbox is gone.

once you go beyond stock motors,the constants in jetting decrease about that amount that the power does unless the set ups are 100% identical.

i had problem with cover also so i stood right side of bike tilted top of carb towards me fitted cover tilted carb back where it touched frame and pushed a little more till cable touched engine mount and i found enough clearance