Sign in to follow this  

Amsoil Synthetic........not loving it!

I know I'm going to get grief over this but I put beloved Amsoil full synthetic in a new motor after a couple hours break in with Rotella and oil was dirty after 1 hr. Repeated several changes after 1 hr or less and same result. In desperation and due to lack of alternatives ran Vavoline cycle oil for 6 hr desert race and oil was clean and no grabby clutch issues like we had with the Amsoil. I'm not sold on the Amsoil compatible clutch story.

Ouch, Were you using the motorcycle specific oil? My bike won't work right on anything but the amsoil and always comes out clean.

Ouch, Were you using the motorcycle specific oil? My bike won't work right on anything but the amsoil and always comes out clean.

Wet clutch compatible etc. I suspect the dirty oil could only be clutch material. I have enough for a fresh oil change to test my theory but it was noticably dirty for a 1 hr run.

i use the full syn. in my motor with no problem, in fact i put a new clutch in this weekend an used plain old oil an hated it. I switched back to the ams oil an all is good.

Could the dirty oil be caused by the oil "cleaning out" the engine?:applause: I know that might sound stupid...but the first couple times I used Rotella it was really dirty, then the times after that it was like new. So my conclusion was it was cleaning all the crap that was in the engine because it is supposed to have detergents in it. Maybe that is the case with Amsoil?

red line oil has a new motorcycle oil(full syn. black bottle w/ silver label)

Im personally not a fan of Amsoil. Its not a bad oil, but it doesnt live up to the hype.

How "dirty" was your oil? If you were riding in a really dusty environment you can expect your oil to look dirty quickly.

We are getting back to basic small engines class here, but oil has 3 jobs: to clean, cool and lubricate. Id rathar have dirt in the oil than to have dirt in the engine.

I put amsoil in my 06 drz 400 sm this summer. And god the bike shifted so bad with it. I would never use any amsoil again after that.

Im personally not a fan of Amsoil. Its not a bad oil, but it doesnt live up to the hype.

How "dirty" was your oil? If you were riding in a really dusty environment you can expect your oil to look dirty quickly.

We are getting back to basic small engines class here, but oil has 3 jobs: to clean, cool and lubricate. Id rathar have dirt in the oil than to have dirt in the engine.

What does that mean - dirt in the oil than dirt in the engine? The oil IS in the engine... :applause:

I don't care for Amsoil either. I can buy a gallon of Rotella for what one quart of Amsoil costs.