Sign in to follow this  

What Mod to do first, then second?

My 10 year old son has begun racing in the 65cc class with his '04 CRF80. I have read many past thread and I have an idea what I would like to do but wanted to just get some additional input before moving forward.

I have opened the airbox and removed the spark arrestor and have seen I small improvement in the throttle response.

Now I am undecided what to next :applause:

In what order should I do the following improvements;

-Aftermarket Airfilter

- Stage 1 Hot Cams

- Jetting (what is recommended from stock)

- Big Gun EVO Pipe

Thanks in advance.

PotteryPal

For the jetting, there's no recommendation. If it's lean, then richen it. Get about 3 sizes up on the main and try each one until it's right. Next get a pipe. You'll probably have to rejet again. It won't matter what pipe, there's only so much a pipe will do for a 80. The 80 is so slow, the only thing you can do to make it actually move is get a Engines Only 120 kit or put 120/100 motor in it. Remember, those kx65's have about 16hp and a stock 80 has about 5.5hp. Not and even race. Plus, the 65's have suspension and disc brakes. However, racing a much better bike will make him a better rider. I had one with a 120 kit, suspension, and 17" front wheel and it was a blast.

For the jetting, there's no recommendation. If it's lean, then richen it. Get about 3 sizes up on the main and try each one until it's right. Next get a pipe. You'll probably have to rejet again. It won't matter what pipe, there's only so much a pipe will do for a 80. The 80 is so slow, the only thing you can do to make it actually move is get a Engines Only 120 kit or put 120/100 motor in it. Remember, those kx65's have about 16hp and a stock 80 has about 5.5hp. Not and even race. Plus, the 65's have suspension and disc brakes. However, racing a much better bike will make him a better rider. I had one with a 120 kit, suspension, and 17" front wheel and it was a blast.

No argument. All your points are noted. The problem I have is he will only be in this class for the remainder of '07 then he will be in the 85cc class and I don't want to buy a bike for 6 months of riding.

Makes sense. I suggest take it out and ride it when he's not looking. :applause:

I would just get a pipe and filter. Forget the cam, unless you get a big bore kit. That should keep him for 6 months.