Sign in to follow this  

How long does fuel last?

Wanted to find out if anyone knew how long fuel lasts before you need to toss it out without a stabilizer?

I added Sea Foam to the 3.5 gallons I have in my garage right now. Does anyone know how much longer it will last with Sea Foam added? I also dabbed a little in our bike tanks that are about 1/2 full. At $3+ a gallon again, it would be nice to be able to hang on to it for a couple months. The current fuel is about 3 weeks old.

Fman_04

Never had a problem with gas less than 6 weeks old in CA, after that the bikes don't like it a lot. No damage, just starts and runs rough.

Been using stabil for a while now and have never had a problem since - one way or another we use up gas. Periodically drain bikes that are not being used enough and pour into car/truck tank so there is no waste really.

How do you like you bike, are you glad you got back into the sport? Having fun?

As far as riding goes, it feels great to be behing the bars again. Im 35 years old now, so my aggressiveness on the trail has definitely gone way down. I am happy with just cruising on the trails with my son. The XR 250r I purchased is perfect for me, and seems to have plenty of power for me right now. I purchased this bike over the CRF because of the reliability and price difference. I also thought the XR was a little more comfortable when comparing them both. The XR was recommended by a few people for being such a reliable, bullet proof low maintenance bike.

My 13 year old son is still learning but catching on quickly. As far as I am concerned, just being able to spend time with my son on the trails is priceless. It has been some great one on one time... we have an overnight trip planned at the end of the month to Hollister Hills, CA. Cant wait!

Does anyone know how much extra life you get out of fuel by adding Sea Foam?

Don't know about Seafoam but have heard great things about it.

But started riding to spend more time with my teenage kids a few years ago and agree with everything you said. Didn't even throw a leg over a bike until 45yo.... :applause:

Have fun on that trip to Hollister - like everywhere else it is far less busy and (to me) more enjoyable mid-week.

i've never put a gas addative in my gas. I also ride year round in washington state. I feel if you just go out and start up the bike once a week and get it warm that will usually suffice. Just an idea.

I've heard that gas starts to loose the octane after a month. I'm really bad about old gas. I've been riding with gas that was 6 month or older. My KTM 200SX 2-smoke, I worry about old gas. My low compression XR's? They are a notch above my lawn mower.

If you are worried about it. Turn off the petcock, drain the float bowl.

Drain the gas in the tank into a gas can, put the gas into your lawn mower.

I guess it's time to fire up the XR400 and burn up a lot of old gas. I don't want the gas from my really old XR's in my car's fuel injection system.

My friend stores his bike for six months at a time in Baja. He claims that adding any gas additive cleans things up after a tank gets run through.

Gas lasts a long time in the tank. Not long in the float bowl. If you're not going to ride for a few weeks, shut the fuel off and let the bike run until it stalls. Or just drain the carb before you try starting it. (There's a screw on the bottom of the bowl)

I totally agree with XRSteve, I was having starting problems with mine after not riding for a month or so. I started draining the bowl at the end of a ride and then allowing a few seconds after turning the gas on at the next session for the bowl to fill, and the problems went away. If the fuel container is capped, I think a couple of months would be O.K., but it does start loosing the high ends relatively soon after being exposed to air. The stabilizers will help prevent sludge and varnish which can clog the jets, but it cannot prevent loss of high ends (pentane, heptane etc.)

The XR was recommended by a few people for being such a reliable, bullet proof low maintenance bike.

hehe! You are officially spolied! If you ever decide to switch rides, keep your XR around, dont be surprised if the new ride goes back to the sale!

Don't know about Seafoam but have heard great things about it.

But started riding to spend more time with my teenage kids a few years ago and agree with everything you said. Didn't even throw a leg over a bike until 45yo.... :applause:

Have fun on that trip to Hollister - like everywhere else it is far less busy and (to me) more enjoyable mid-week.

I second that, we are going thursday and friday.... I will NEVER go to any OHV park in California on the weekends. I get quite a few weekdays off with my job and take full advantage of not having to battle the crowds! I hear Hollister is pretty crazy on sat and sunday.