Sign in to follow this  

Pirelli mt44 or paddle

A couple guys I ride with at Rexburg in the dunes say the MT44 is more fun than a paddle tire? I've never been with them when they've run this over a paddle. Anyone run these soft tires in the dunes? I looked at one today at the bike shop and it looks good with a cup design.

They ride 250 four strokes, maybe on the 250 they are nicer?

I've never ridden paddel on a 4 stroke but im sure there isnt much of a differnce. I, personaly prefer not to run paddels, mostly because with the other soft tires, it has a "Better feeling". It seems like you have less control without the paddels, the rear end it alll over the place. But, it never leads to a problem, you soon get used to and learn to love the feel of every run/bump/mound you hit. I dont know how quite to explain it, but the excite factor goes up for me anyways.

I ride pismo somtimes with some guys that are rally hardcore!!! None of them run paddles they all say they suck!!! They all run a sand tire.

Good Luck!

The Pirelli MT410 is a smokin tire in the dunes. :applause: I would run the 410 over a MT44 any day. I've ridden on a paddle once and to be honest i like this tire much more, unless the only reason you ride the dunes is for sand drags :lol:.

Two of my buddies (1 pro, 1 Expert) who raced the Pismo WORCS ran these and had great luck.

Pirelli_MT410Rear-2.jpg

Anything less than a paddle and sand is passing rather than being grabbed. If you've got some hard surface, etc. a tire w/ knobs would be cool. Pure sand??? I'd only run a paddle - period.

I've ridden on a paddle once and to be honest i like this tire much more, unless the only reason you ride the dunes is for sand drags

A paddle is the only way to climb (with any sort of speed) some of the stuff here in Utah...

LS-sandmt-1.jpg

LS-sandmt-3.jpg

LS-sandmt-4.jpg

LS-fingers.jpg

There are some chutes in the 4th picture that steep - real steep.

The Pirelli MT410 is a smokin tire in the dunes. :applause: I would run the 410 over a MT44 any day. I've ridden on a paddle once and to be honest i like this tire much more, unless the only reason you ride the dunes is for sand drags :lol:.

Two of my buddies (1 pro, 1 Expert) who raced the Pismo WORCS ran these and had great luck.

Pirelli_MT410Rear-2.jpg

I saw that tire too, no 18 inch available though as far as the Pirelli web site goes.

i prefer a 8 scoop over anything else i have tried, from sand tires to 10 scoops. just my .02

I've never ridden paddel on a 4 stroke but im sure there isnt much of a differnce. I, personaly prefer not to run paddels, mostly because with the other soft tires, it has a "Better feeling". It seems like you have less control without the paddels, the rear end it alll over the place.

If you've never ran a paddle... how can you "prefer" not to? And how can you claim it has "better feeling" one over the other? "Less control"...? Boy... someone needs to ride deep sand, and with a paddle!!

I ride pismo somtimes with some guys that are rally hardcore!!! None of them run paddles they all say they suck!!! They all run a sand tire.

In 1986 I used to say the same thing. I was a paddle hater. And I rode a CR500 for years!! ... change is good. :p But yes, when you ride small dunes (Pismo)... paddles aren't as necessary.

The Pirelli MT410 is a smokin tire in the dunes. :bonk: I would run the 410 over a MT44 any day. I've ridden on a paddle once and to be honest i like this tire much more, unless the only reason you ride the dunes is for sand drags :naughty:.

... I'm not a 'dragger', but I don't like to have to scream my bike when playing at some speed in the dunes. A paddle saves the bike from running a gear too high, and from working it too hard. Unless your just cruising the flat stuff. :p But I have to say, that's one aggressive tire you linked to!! I might have to give it a go at our next 'dune' race in Baja (Cantamar). Oh... and I'm an Expert racer... do I get a gold star. (j/k'ing around, and being sarcastic on that last sentence). :D

Anything less than a paddle and sand is passing rather than being grabbed. If you've got some hard surface, etc. a tire w/ knobs would be cool. Pure sand??? I'd only run a paddle - period.

GLAMIS - Paddle

GORDON'S WELL - Paddle

BUTTERCUP - Paddle

Pure and simple equation right there.

I saw that tire too, no 18 inch available though as far as the Pirelli web site goes.

Ahhh crap! Really?? Tell me it isn't so... I truly think that'd be a great race tire for super sandy conditions. A race where your not allowed to run a paddle... that would be the closest 'worthy' tire it seems. Anyone know for sure if it's 19" only?! My google key is broke. :p

:bonk:

And yes... Sand, and paddles are a good thing. Only if the sand warrants it. Someone's kiddy sand box won't warrant a paddle. Glamis... 'enuf said.

perhaps someone should learn to read.... i said i've never driven a paddle on a *4-stroke*... so what does that leave... a 2-Stroke? sounds right to me (notice i finished that sentence with "im sure there isnt much of a difference") Difference between 2 stroke with paddle and 4 stroke with paddle that is. The better feeling comes from theres more pick up and go with the paddel, i like the dig a hole and move around slow till you pick up speed and i just like that feeling personal preference, no need to get touchy jeez.

and one more thing, i had this in the back of my mind the whole time while writing these posts... to get to all of my sandy locations, i need to hit trail. paddles are obviously horrid in trails. so it is far from practical for me to run one. i am unsure or the the original poster's conditions as far as his access to sand... mearely being broad

.... no need to get touchy jeez.

Nobody's touchy, and I do 'read'.... Personal preference, and area are two huge factors in whether to run a paddle. Always glad to hear everyone's opinions and ideas! :bonk:

:naughty:

I've ridden the MT410 (it's now called the Scorpion MX Soft) next to a paddle at Dumont Dunes (between LA and LV). big hills there and I never noticed anything amiss with my bike compared to anything else out there the day we were there. i was on a firends YZ250, buddy was on a 426 (same tire). yes they are only available in 19" sizes.

advantages- works fine on harder stuff to get to the trail (besides wear), no adjustment to bike, probably lighter than most paddle tires, just put it on and go. it also works when you lean it over like an MX tire and also gives you braking. Now you also have a great mud/sand tire for your next mx race. try that with your paddle. :bonk:

disadvantage- uh..if you are racing for pinks, you will get beat by a paddle but not by much. I'd guess that the pirelli is 95% as good in a straight line as a paddle, but it also corners and stops better.

YZinDunes.JPG

IMHO. but it's worth a try. I know a lot of guys in ID also run them instead of paddles.

in dennis kirk they advertise a 120/100-18 mt 44 tire for like 75 bucks

My local shop has an MT44 / 18 in stock and it does not look nearly as good as the pics of the 410. Couple guys I know swear by the 410 for 250 4 strokes rode in Rexburg, sand is heavier there from my experience compared to Glamis. SpeedyR's comment makes sense.

If your going to real dunes get a real paddle. Your gonna have a big enough learning curve as it is so make it easier on yourself.

My local shop has an MT44 / 18 in stock and it does not look nearly as good as the pics of the 410. Couple guys I know swear by the 410 for 250 4 strokes rode in Rexburg, sand is heavier there from my experience compared to Glamis. SpeedyR's comment makes sense.

The MT44 is the older tire. the MT410 (now MXS) is what they used when they were racing as they would hand cut the old MT44 to work better in the sand. so they made a new tire based on the hand cut tire.

most of the soft terrain tires are really heavy (as are paddle tires) as they have big blocks to move more dirt. that's bad as you want a light tire to spin and get up on top of the sand quicker. so you want something like a paddle or the 410. it's the only tire i've seen that's even close to a paddle in performance. if you havne't run one against a paddle and are talking about any other soft terrain MX tire, it's not even close. Michelin has a new sand 4 as does Maxxis (at least for their sponsored racers) that I saw in FL at the GNCC round, but they are both closer to the old MT44 than the 410. but run what you want. I like to be able to turn and have some braking and not have to modify my bike to run a paddle (extend chain/axle, remove mud flap, etc.).