Sign in to follow this  

2001 drz400s upgrades

just bought a drz in mint condition. I know very little about them. Any info on free modifications such as exhaust and air flow etc. Probably self explanitory but if someone else has already been down this road, so much the better. Thank you in advance.

just bought a drz in mint condition. I know very little about them. Any info on free modifications such as exhaust and air flow etc. Probably self explanitory but if someone else has already been down this road, so much the better. Thank you in advance.

Any exhaust and airflow mods that give you more power will not be free, but a JD or dynojet kit and cutting the 3X3 hole in your airbox is cheap and works well. Do a search and see the sticky's for 3X3 mod.

thank you for the info. Any info on the mikuni. I am more familiar with the fcr

Sure thing. The Mikuni is a very simple carb compared to the FCR, no AP. Its quite easy to tune as the only adjustments are the needle, the jetting and mixture screw. I used the dynojet kit, but now JD has a kit availible that in addition to a high and low altitude needle also contains the jets you will need. I also got the Kientech extended idle mixture screw for the Mikuni. Also dont forget to order the SS bolts for the float bowl before you do the mod. Everything is availible from the TT store, just give em a call tell them what you are doing and they will set you up with the proper kit, bolts, jets, etc.

With the DJ kit and 3X3 mod, I used 4th clip position on the needle with the kit, the stock 142.5 main jet, 25 pilot jetwhich did not come with the kit (stock is 22.5), this was with a Yosh RS-3 full system uncorked, sea level. If you use the stock exhaust or a corked Yosh, still use a 25 pilot jet, and go with a 140 main for sea level. When I did the mod the JD kit was not availible so if I were to do it again I would go with the JD kit over the DJ kit because extra (useful) jets are included.

Also, if you buy a full exhaust system like the Yosh, and you leave the cork (quiet insert) in it, its a waste of money. To realize any gains from the Yosh exhaust you need to run it uncorked, which of course is very loud.

You will get better throttle response and a bit more power from the 3X3 and jet kit. However, to get a big gain you would need to go with an FCR39. I did the mod to the Mikuni and only rode it for a while before getting the FCR. What's even better is to get the FCR and put in some Hotcams. Then after that of course is the 434 big bore, then you can run with the WR450's and the KTM 450's.

Look at all the good info in the sticky's at the top of the DRZ forum as there are procedures and mods in there that you will want to do, like the MCCT, primary nut, grease steering stem, smog canister removal, etc. You definately want to put in the MCCT on a 2001 model before the ACCT fails and trashes the top end. Also if you dont ride a bunch on the street putting in 14 - 47 sprockets will help greatly with the bike's lack of power, and its cheap.

If you have any more questions after reviewing the great info already on the site post your questions and you will get the help you need as the guys that post here are a wealth of info and great guys. Congrats on you new Z, the most bulletproof and versatile bike out there:thumbsup:

If you decide want to upgrade the forks to the E model fully adjustable type I have a set for sale.