Sign in to follow this  

Woods gearing

Picked up an 07 last weekend. Runs great, but I will be doing mostly woods riding and it seemed off today. With the stock gearing, I was either in too high a gear or ran out of gears. I did a search, but everybody is talking about moto. What are the woods guys running? I am thinking of going up 1 on the rear to carry 2nd and 3rd more but didn't know if people even went 2 or more. Bike is all stock.

BUY SPROCKETS, I keep MANY in the gear box with new and old good condition chains, counter shaft and wheel sprockets larger and smaller, cant hurt to havem hanging round ya think?

go lower in the rear....this will allow u to stay in a gear for a longer time...will feell like u dnt run out of rev.....also it allows u to work with 2nd and 3rd gear

Im running a 49T rear (one up from stock) riding woods, seems to work fairly well for me.

going up one in the rear would make u shift more through 2nd and 3rd gear....im not saying its bad..bad i ran a 49 and i didn't like it cause i felt like 2nd gear and a lil of 3rd was useless...like i couldnt use it in some of the tunrs....i prefer using 2nd or 3rd with most of the turns on a track without any clutch....so im planning on switching to a 47.....as soon as joshb gives me a report on them....if u look back a couple of pages where joshb asks if going down would be good.....this is wat i said..

Going up on the rear to a 49 would increase ur bottem end power in 1-3rd gear...increasing the rear would help u go through those tight turns still in 3rd/4th gear....and for those turns in 3rd, u would find urself using the clutch a lil bit.... It gets into the mid-range faster i would believe...i am using a 49 on the rear cause the track i go to, have more rutted turns then straights...so If you go with a 49 you will be able to carry third gear through most corners, but some in 4th...If u would come in a turn in 3rd, it would be but of a low lugging 3rd gear.... So u would be using more of the clutch with a 49T...like i said it feels like u run out of 3rd gear, so as soon as u come out, u would proably upshift sooner then u would with a 48t...Yo can go with a 49 tooth sprocket, so that you can use 3rd gear without it being too low and bogging the bike...

But i have not experienced with a 47t in the rear....now with that increase in top speed, that would mean that u would be in turns in a lower gear, like 2nd gear, b/c it would make it longer, u can get more out of lower gears, especially in turns....i know that it helps mostly 4-5th gear and that u could stay in a gear longer b/c it seems like u dnt run out of rev on the rev limiter for each gear...

i going to change to a 47 b/c i'm not a big fan with the 49.....

but cnt really think wat a good gearing set up would be in the woods...i would have to personally try it out....its more of a feel...