Sign in to follow this  

Project KX-D, Got my BFM's cut

Big freakin mounts :lol:

Next to to grind the rear engine case, since the distance between mounts will be more narrow than the stock case, then sand the frame where I cut mount off (I primered it to presrve the metal) then emory cloth the grind marks, wire wheel the oxidation off the mounts, grind the mounts to correct size, tack then have them welded then sand blast frame, then paint and assemble the bad boy.:applause:

I may drill it for asthetic reasons like the KDX has. The stock KX rear mounts were tiny. Double walle but tiny. I lookd at the KDX and t uses a larger mount than the KX does. So I cut a MUCH larger and thicker mount for the rear and a longer an thicker mount for the front by a (good bit).

picture002uv5.jpg

picture003vb3.jpg

picture007sf1.jpg

This is why I had to cut cut off the rear motor mounts. I believe the pre 96 rear motor mounts line up though.

picture002pm6.jpg

Yeah I am very excitd about it. I can see the light. I got all new bottom nd and top end parts. I am going to rebuild and paint the motor.

My total bill is pushing $4300 now. Ahh well I did not do it to save money. It will be completly a brand new bike when done. Assuming I do not totally screw something up.....

ebeck your bike looks good and coming along well. You have inspired me to build an ebay bike too. I went through all my 250 spares and found I only needed a frame and some odds and ends,so anyway my frame got here yesterday. It will just be a 250 with 99-02 parts. I did a quick fit together and the subframe and forks and swingarm and shock all fit like it was made to. It will be a spare bike and one I can try different setups on while not messing with my other bike. Thanks for the insperation. Ed

Awsome man! stock motor or are you going to do a Franken bike?

The building fabticating process is really fun.

Won't be much of a Franken bike but all of my bikes are odd. My current bike is a 99 KX250 with 02 cases 98 1'st and 2'nd 02 3'rd-5'th an 03 cylinder bored to 74mm(310) gnarly pipe 01 wolf ignition 13oz fww forks revalved until I am happy a PC valved shock and pull rods. This bike will get my 99 250 motor with a 98 1'st gear but I also have another 74mm(99) cylinder that may go on it, but pistons are getting hard to come by. Just giving myself something else to test. Ed