My first YZ, and first YZ 250, looks new anything to watch out for?

Hey all just picked up a '03 YZ 250 after riding an '04 RM 125 all last year. Really excited about this bike, and riding a 250 in general. Looking at this bike it's 100% stock and perfect condition, I'd say there couldn't have been more than a tank of gas run through it. Stored since '04.

Anything besides the basics I should do to it before opening it up? I'm thinking about changing the trans fluid, coolant flush, new plug and soak the chain in some oil. Maybe a carb cleaning though it seems to run fine.

Anything else I should look out for or do preventative maintenance to on this bike? I know it's not always a good thing for a machine to sit so long. Any ideas appreciated.

This is my first two stroke 250 and I do have some basic newbie questions like;

Is the general rule of mixing 50:1?

I've run motul on my 125 and street bikes, anyone ever heard of problems with Motul's 10w30 Trans oil? I know you're supposed to run 10/40 but..?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. For now I'm just looking forward to riding it, should be a fun season:thumbsup:

Hey all just picked up a '03 YZ 250 after riding an '04 RM 125 all last year. Really excited about this bike, and riding a 250 in general. Looking at this bike it's 100% stock and perfect condition, I'd say there couldn't have been more than a tank of gas run through it. Stored since '04.

Anything besides the basics I should do to it before opening it up? I'm thinking about changing the trans fluid, coolant flush, new plug and soak the chain in some oil. Maybe a carb cleaning though it seems to run fine.

Anything else I should look out for or do preventative maintenance to on this bike? I know it's not always a good thing for a machine to sit so long. Any ideas appreciated.

This is my first two stroke 250 and I do have some basic newbie questions like;

Is the general rule of mixing 50:1?

I've run motul on my 125 and street bikes, anyone ever heard of problems with Motul's 10w30 Trans oil? I know you're supposed to run 10/40 but..?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. For now I'm just looking forward to riding it, should be a fun season:thumbsup:

Check steering head bearings. Check swingarm bearings and lower link bearings, clean and repack bearings as needed.

As for premix goes use 32.1 or 40.1 and when you decide to what premix

ratio to use, stay with it.:applause:

• Like 1

Check steering head bearings. Check swingarm bearings and lower link bearings, clean and repack bearings as needed.

As for premix goes use 32.1 or 40.1 and when you decide to what premix

ratio to use, stay with it.:applause:

Weird that you brought that up. Only thing that looked strange to me was a bit of what looked like grease coming from the lower triple, I'll definately check that.

Wow I thought for sure everyone was going 50:1 on the 250's, guess I was wrong on that one.

I got a 2003 YZ250 also, fun bike....I would think about getting the forks and shock serviced, at least fluid changed and set sag, also replace brake fluids & bleed. (most fluids break down over time as well as during use) spend a day to check all bolt TQ's, spokes etc...along with the earlier rec to grease bearing, links etc....

if I'm jumping a double or blasting down a fire road at 70 I want the confidence to know EVERYTHING is set.....

ride and have fun!

• Like 1

I would check/re-oil the air filter if necessary. Clean the carb/gas tank out, re=pack the silencer, re-grease the linkage and steering stem bearings, set the sag, change the fork oil, check all spokes, check chain tension, and you might want to see how much compression you have. I would use 32:1 in a 250, maybe 40:1 depending on conditions, but probably 32:1 with a good oil. I use ATF for the tranny and change it ever ride. 10w-30 should be fine though.

I would check/re-oil the air filter if necessary. Clean the carb/gas tank out, re=pack the silencer, re-grease the linkage and steering stem bearings, set the sag, change the fork oil, check all spokes, check chain tension, and you might want to see how much compression you have. I would use 32:1 in a 250, maybe 40:1 depending on conditions, but probably 32:1 with a good oil. I use ATF for the tranny and change it ever ride. 10w-30 should be fine though.

Hey kx how've you been? Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help you offered up last year when I was working the bugs out of the RM 125. Damn, you sure I need to do all that to basically a new bike that just sat for a while? I know you're right and I probably should, but man that's alot. Of course I'd rather spend that time riding, but I don't want to have any trackside/trailside problems either.

I'll probably hold off on the suspension fluids since I'll have that stuff rebuilt later in the season. I don't think the bike has more than one tank of gas through it, sure about re-packing the silencer? What would you use to clean out the gas tank? Carb cleaner just like the carb?

I've only had very little time to play around with the bike since I picked it up. The one thing that I noticed, and this could be because of the cold weather, but the throttle seems to stick when I open it. I'm used to it snapping back but this one is set on cruise control which is a problem. Warmer weather or not, I'd still like to know where to start on fixing this little problem?

No, you probably dont need to do all of that, but i was just listing everything you could do. If it is as new as you say, i would just inspect the spokes, drain the gas out of the carb/gas tank, clean the carb with carb cleaner (remove the jets), change the tranny oil, and clean the air filter if it needs it. You dont actually need to clean the gas tank, just remove the old gas and re-fill it with fresh pre-mix. What kind of riding do you do? 40:1 should be ok for a trail rider, even though i would use 32:1 just to be safe. The fix the throttle, i would take the grip off and inspect the tube. It should be very clean on the outside and in, no grease should be there. Then lube the cable and check for kinks. There are tons of knowledgable people on this site, especially RCannon, he's great. :applause:

If you have time, it's probably worth pulling it down and regreasing all the bearings... save you some money later (if you intend to keep it)

I just did all the bearings in my 98, half of em looked like it still had factory grease (more like tar now though). Needless to say I had to replace a lot of em, and the rest will need replacing in the not too distant future

Check brake pads, bleed the lines if necessary, fork oil is easy to do and will improve their performance. Air filter obviously every couple of rides, mine i have to do every hour because of all the dust round here, it comes out caked.

I run 40:1, usually yamalube (although I'm running a shell premix atm), and my barrel looked A1 last time i pulled it down... even the piston looked near new and the rings were like fingernail clippings

Tranny fluid doesn't matter too much, just make sure you use decent quality and replace it regularly... its personal opinion and everyone on this board will give you a different oil and a different reason for it. Try a few different ones out, i'm running motul atm and it seems to be the best I've had so far

As for your throttle, i posted in another thread saying i had the same problem, turned out the tube was too far down the bar and the grip was actually rubbing on the end of the bar, causing it to stick open

kx-

You've never steered me wrong so 32:1 it is. My riding is going to be a good mix of track and trail, probably more on the trail side but I don't want any engine issues regardless. I'll play it safe and flush all the fluids including brake, coolant, tranny and old gas. As for cleaning the carb, should I completely take it apart or just clean out the jets and other 'easier to get to' parts? I don't want to half-ass it but the bike is pretty much showroom clean.

Tranny fluid doesn't matter too much, just make sure you use decent quality and replace it regularly... its personal opinion and everyone on this board will give you a different oil and a different reason for it. Try a few different ones out, i'm running motul atm and it seems to be the best I've had so far

As for your throttle, i posted in another thread saying i had the same problem, turned out the tube was too far down the bar and the grip was actually rubbing on the end of the bar, causing it to stick open

Thanks Motty. Yeah I've always been a big fan of Motul oils, made my sportbikes run like clockwork, never a problem. It's a little pricey but it helps me sleep better at night so I'll stick with it.

I've never taken bearings out (never needed to before) so that should be interesting.

As for the throttle, hopefully that's all it is. The bike is 100% stock so I'm just itching to put on some pro tapers and some new grips. I'd love to put on some new triples as well but want to concentrate on spending the money where it will do the most good first.

I've never pulled forks apart either, always left that to the pros. I'll probably be alot more "hands on" with this bike though so who knows what I'll attempt to fix (break) myself.

Yes, for the carb, just take the float bowl off (after lossening the carb and sliding it foward) then you can remove the jets. Since your throttle is sticking, it probably wouldnt hurt to remove the needle assy. from the top and lube the cable up from there. Greasing the bearings is always a good idea, it wont take more than 3 hours (if you know what you are doing). Consistantly greasing them with a high quality grease does wonders for your bike. To change the fluid in the forks, just follow this guide (except dont take the fork seals out, just reverse the steps after you pour the fluid out).

http://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20

Hope this helps. :applause: