Sign in to follow this  

Haspin IN Ride Report:Mud snow slush=fun?!

Spent the afternoon at Haspin today and was humbled by the elements (aka spent alot of time picking up the 300). The north facing slopes are still holding plenty of snow and the areas where the sun hits the slopes is super greasy. Stay out of the bottoms unless you are riding with a 4x4 quad with a tow rope. Note that the ice is still thick on the shaded bogs but is starting to thin-that's another story.

Bottom line- You can get around but you have to be sure to pick lines that allow you a way out in case your current line turns to slime-age.

Gary and Phil joined me for the grease 'fest. Phil used his EXC200 as a sled on a couple of slopes- was fun to watch.

It was good to be on the bike again-first time since hernia surgery in December '06.

GarPhil.jpg

I almost went there yesterday. I got the day off, and was wanting to ride a little. Couldn't find anyone to go with me though. Ended up at my buddies house, right down the road. He has a couple hundred acres to ride. Mostly fields and some small woods sections. It was just nice to be riding. I was wondering what kind of shape Haspin was in. Haven't been there since December, and it was muddy then. Thanks for the update, and hope to see you on the trails....

I was going to Haspin Sunday with quad riders, or even by myself. But I am afraid now after hearing from you guys. Maybe I should stay home?

Did you get a KTM, dale?

Thanks for the report , I knew it had to be slick , I'm getting ready to load up right now 8:50 am and go down & spend a day , anybody wanna join me , Haspins 1st H-S is next weekend , some of you can use the practice , like myself for example . :applause:

Thanks for the report , I knew it had to be slick , I'm getting ready to load up right now 8:50 am and go down & spend a day , anybody wanna join me , Haspins 1st H-S is next weekend , some of you can use the practice , like myself for example

How did it go????????

Mudfest? C'mon Moswag, my bike didn't even get muddy til you dropped it. lol Okay, it was a little muddy. Heck, it was still better than starting my taxes like I had had planned for Friday. How does that saying go? "Your worst day riding is still better than doing your taxes?"

If you guys want some serious training, then head to Haspin. Throw your bike into 2nd or 3rd gear, stand up, maintain momentum, and try climbing up the snow covered northern faced uphills. Now that was fun! phil being phil

How did it go????????

:applause: I had a great time , rode solo for 3 hrs , didn't get stuck or get myself caught up in a jam on the side of some big hill or go careening out of control down one , I rode all over the woods at a good pace getting ready for next weeks rd 1 H-S there , conditions can become treacherous (sp?) on big downhill decents so be warned , but only on some hills , use common sense on picking a hill to ride down and no problems , I'm going back down Sunday around 1:00 pm & would like someone to follow me around , there weren't many bikes there Sat but I got there late 2:15pm , so lets ride today - conditions are prime , just have new tires on or close to"em

Just got back from Haspin. The bottom sections were still pretty muddy but otherwise it was reasonable. Definitely some slick places though and there was actually still snow on the ground. If you have some sense it shouldn't be too bad. Although I did get a thorn in my pinky that went straight through my finger. Had to use some car keys to pry it out, otherwise it was great to be on a dirt bike again after an 8 year hiatus.

It was first time for me to ride Haspin by myself. I mostly followed allows, I guess, those are for next week race, and had still good time though I have been stucked twice badly. I realized I had no common sense, LOL. The condition of terrain was much nicer than what I expected. Hope ride together next time.

Hey Mark-san, I didn't have too much sense either. I wound up stuck pretty good twice as well but I figured that wasn't so bad for a full day of riding. If anyone is going back soon let us know. If the weather stays decent I will probably go back next weekend.

Next Sat is the ATV H-S race and Sun is the bike H-S race , it'll be a busy weekend down there if you are not racing and just looking to trailride , I have to pull a night shift tonight and will try to get some riding in Wed morning if I'm not spent from no sleep today , if anyone can make it down Wed morning let me know

What time does the race start and end Saturday and Sunday? I checked ixcracing.com but can not find it.

Thats a good question Mark ? I should find out myself as I've forgotten since they told me at the banquet

I was wrong earlier when I said Quads Sat , I found out today its like last year Bikes A.M - Quads P.M. both on Sunday