Sign in to follow this  

my kids new 85

Just ordered an 07 KX85 for my son. You guys that own them know of any weak links, things I should watch for, good advice, bang for your buck tune ups, anything. I'm all gears, :applause: I mean ears. No seriusly I have been fixing bikes for years just not one of these. All I have ordered is Pro taper 7/8 bars, grips, levers, tubes, and a rear tire.

I would get nice air filter, mix gas 32:1 as it says in the book and just keep on the mantainance. Engine wise there is no better mod than porting, you can also send it to get nikasil plating in the cylinder instead of a cylinder sleeve. A phathead sounds real nice too, I wanna get one of those for my bike. The last things I said is if you wanna race or something and needed urgent, there is no need for it. You can find all those mods at www.lukesracing.com

The 85's are snappy, good for mx, not as good for woods. If hes a newer rider, or at least is new to 2 strokes, you should definately get him a flywheel weight. Great bike though, just make sure to clean the airfilter and change the oil all the time.

My son is 11 years old, almost 70 pds. He has been riding since he was 5years old. Made the switch to an 85 because I cant keep the wheels together on his ktm 65 anymore (to big of jumps). He can definately ride, top 5 here in our 65 class. He promised to keep his grades up, homework done and find the weak link on the KX85 if it has one. I figured a bone stock Kawasaki would be a good transition into the next class because of its more user friendly powerband. On the 65 he had no problems wringing every drop of power out of it so I am thinking of mods after the first year on the 85. Dont these bikes come stock with a nickasil sleve? I think so.

Hes good to go, im sure the kawi will be good for him.. it soften that suspension a little bit for him though.

softening the suspension had crossed my mind, I just figured we would test, set, and break it in first. Thanks