Sign in to follow this  

Scam Alert!!! Scam Alert!!!

I recently placed an ad in the recycler.com to sell a bike. Shortly thereafter I began receiving "fishy" responses to my ad. An example is shown below:

"GOOD DAY SELLER,

I am STEVEN by name,I saw the advert of your motocyles,i will love to know if it still Avaiable for sale and what is the asking price and present Condition,I will appreciate you get back to me with the Method of Payment u accept...I am paying you with Cheque and if that ok by you..Kindly get back to me with your full name and address with Phone number.................................. Hope to Hear from you soon asap.

Regard."

It turns out that this is a form of fraud going around the internet. The "catch" is that they pay with a cashier's check. The bank takes it, then a week or so later, the bank docks your account for the amount of the check once they discover it is no good. Then you are out both your property and your money. Double screw.

Seller beware. Tell a friend.:applause:

No, I didn't go for it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the internet!:lol:

I assume this is the first time you have placed an on-line add trying to sell something??? I love these scams, I play along like I'm some dummy, and make them go throught the BS of forging and sending the check, then I ignore them-at least that way I get to waste some of their time in return.:applause:

One actually sent FedEx to pickup a bike (FedEx thought they were picking up a 2 lb package). I just gave the FedEx guy the same look a cow does the first time it is intoduced to barbed wire.

(the check was a forgery, according to my bank and local po-lice, so I didn't feel bad about wasting FedEx's time, they make folks pre-pay for shipping anyway)

From the mouths of babes. I need to be nice here because not everyone has "been around the block". Let me put it in real simple terms that seem almost too simple. If it seems too good to be true, it is a scam. I sold a mach 1 mustang online, some guy from L.A. kept asking me to give it to him on payments and as soon as he sold his rental house he would pay me extra $ for my trouble. I told him yes, Just contact my agent and sign your other house over to me and then I will bring you the car. I never heard from him again. Go figure.

Another dead giveaway is when the spell it "cheque" -who in the US spells it this way???

That is the British spelling of the word, most likely that scam is coming from a former British Crown Colony.

Whew!!! for a minute there I thought you were gonna say that my Nigerian deal was a scam...

I'm gonna be rich in a couple of months, after the millions gets deposited in my account and I'll be able to buy and sell all you guys!!! :applause:

Yeah, mine clears any day now. Bali, here I come!

• Like 1

Whew!!! for a minute there I thought you were gonna say that my Nigerian deal was a scam...

I'm gonna be rich in a couple of months, after the millions gets deposited in my account and I'll be able to buy and sell all you guys!!! :applause:

I'm much cheaper than you think:p

• Like 1

Forget about winning millions with the lottery. What a scam! Next time someone representing a deceased uncle of mine in Nigeria wants to give me a check worth millions I'm depositing it. I have a wife and 2 kids to support.

subdued