Sign in to follow this  

Airway Heights - March Mud Fling - Seriously Dumb Question

I haven't been on here in a while and I'm in a quandary...where else to go? TT, of course...

My son is racing in the Mud Fling at Airway Heights on the 19th.

and

So am I! :applause:

Anyone ever raced in this hare scramble before?

Here's the dumb question - there's a women's class and I guess I'll be racing in that, but HOW IS IT DONE?

You have three hours to race as many laps as you can?

Or is it when the first rider is done, you're done?

I'm really confused because I've gotten conflicting answers from elsewhere and I'm trying to figure out if I can do this or not. Race stats show that the women last October managed around 14 laps, so I figured it was just however many laps you could pull in 3 hours.

I usually ride out in the woods in Idaho alone, and so have my MP3 player for company. Do you think anyone would get upset if I used my MP3 player (at low volume) during this race? I can hear horns and people talking and so forth, I figure my hearing isn't much more impacted than hubby's on his big KTM 450SX.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've raced the last two years there. It's as many laps as you can do in 3 hours. In other words if you go through the scan check point at 2 hours and 59 minutes, you do another lap. There are different classes you could run with your son, Jack & Jill or parent child. Jack and Jill is less competative. Hope to see you there. PS the race is on the 18th and I'm sure the mp3 player will not be an issue.

Matt - thanks for the reply. Durn typo, it's marked in RED on my calendar on the 18th for sure.

My son is going to race in the 50cc class on the PeeWee track. Fortunately his race is at 10:00 AM and mine is at noon, so hubby can take off with the kids or do whatever if they get twitchy (one is almost 9, one is almost 4, and one is almost 2)

I was hoping it was based on how many laps you could do - I don't think I'm together enough to try to do a team race.

I understand you stop every lap and they scan your helmet? That would be good - I found out last night (on TT no less) that it's a 7 mile course...I'd probably have a hard time keeping track of how many laps I've done!

I've been threatening to race womens class in the motos around here for a couple of years, but I figured a hare scramble would be the best way to get my feet wet and then go from there. Then again, I have three kids (only one of whom is old enough to race), so racing motos might be a bit of a strain on hubby...:applause:

I didn't think the MP3 player would be a problem, although hubby thinks I'm crazy to do it ("What if you can't hear someone coming up behind you?" - as if he can on his bike!) I just figure that since I'll be more or less putting the course, I'd go nuts if I didn't have some tunes to keep me company. He understood when I asked him how he'd like to do his hour commute without the stereo in the car!

It's a good beginner race. The fast guys are all good about getting by you without taking you out. The worst part of the whole race is the parade lap cause EVERYONE is out there at the same time but if you just take it easy and watch out for Yahoo's it's even pretty safe.

So far haven't heard if the quads are running with bikes still or not. Several of us have emailed lisa@nwsfab.com which is the contact for Extreme to tell them we may not race if they run the quads at the same time.

I'll decide when I get there. My son's racing the tag team with his buddy so I'll be there either way. I usually load my stuff up and decide when I show up at the track - the number of quads generally makes my mind up.

They did run quads with us last fall and it's a bit disconcerting to pass them or even worse if one passes you. I don't remember getting passed by any couches but I know a few people that did get taken out by them. They are outa control! I haven't had any too close calls, not any worse than the zippy 80's that nearly take me out, or my own kid that seems to try to kill me.

Just give them a lotta room and a big "wwwooohhhhoooo" if you are passing the quad and make sure you have an out.

You also want to be sure to hold your line VERY well when you hear a faster rider coming up on you.

I ran the Fall Scarescramble for the first time ever in 1999, after having my bike for only one season and my bro talked me into running it with him. No Jack & Jill class back then. I think we ran heavyweight or something. Karl and I have done Geritol, Heavyweight and when they finally got the Jack & Jill Class going we did that a couple times. I ran Ironwoman last Fall and plan to do that again to see if I can beat my laps - should be easy to do since I spent 50 minutes last fall rounding up a tube & tire irons to change my kid's flat tire while he took my bike since his partner had bent his bars and needed them straightened.

We'll look for you at the PeeWee race ThreeJanes. We'll be in a white F250 with a CR500 #007, YZ125 #476 and YZF400 #8 in the back of the truck.

I have pics from the 2001 Mudfling - son was on a KX60 back then! I cartwheeled the bike on the last lap, bent bars, broken clutch perch and slightly dizzy, luckily someone I knew passed me just as I got the bike back up so I followed her bright purple jacket the rest of the way, otherwise I was a bit lost.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/27980670HsOHZhdpIb

A few pics of the mudhole from the 2002 MudFling - thanks to the 3 nice guys that helped me drag my bike out of it. When a CR500 just sits & spins - it's stuck!

http://rides.webshots.com/album/36867078QZpjQj

The quads don't ride with the bikes anymore. It is a 3 hour timed race as stated above. I think my team member and I usually go 18 laps.

If you are going slow, please stay out of the faster riders way. The lapped traffic gets old especially when you're lapping someone and they try to race you, or keep you behind them.

Oh boy, bbbom, I'll be looking for you. I just told hubby that someone I "know" from the internet will be there, he thinks that's cool.

We'll have a white Dodge Ram with a Honda CRF230 #81 and CRF50 #47 in the back.

I'll be the longhair with the baby and hubby will be the redhead with the curly-haired little girl at the PeeWee track. (that and I'll be the longhair fool taking a million pictures.)

I have no idea what hubby is going to do with the kids once I start my race - I told him to take a few pictures and then take them to McDonald's or something. My son is almost 9, he'll dig watching the other riders, but the girls are 2 and 4 and I think they'll be bored (and muddy). We don't have a trailer but I'll have a blanket and lunch and stuff for them. Once I'm on the track - they're his problem! :lol:

I looked at your pics - the mud looks intimidating. :lol: But then again, I love.love.love to get dirty, unlike hubby, who has to wash his bike after every ride. :eek: I am by no means a good rider; puttering around in the woods is what I've been doing for the last 3 years. I don't even jump. I figured I would just stay in the outside line and keep my head down - I'm more worried about have a quad landing on my head than anything.

Mainly because a year or two ago a friend of ours was riding down south a bit (Plummer, I think) with a buddy of his and took the inside on a turn. Well, there was a quad there heading toward him and Greg launched off his bike, which acted as a ramp and the quad jumped, ragdolling Greg and killing him. My friend did CPR on him (trading off with his brother in law) for 45 minutes until the paramedics got there but he was gone (and his $500 Arai helmet did nothing for him). That sobered all of us up because sometimes you forget how dangerous this sport can be. That, and if I do something dumb, I'm a stay at home mom with three little kids, one of whom I homeschool, and a three story house!

(oh yeah, and my dad would never.ever let me forget it :applause: )

All soberness aside, I'm really really looking forward to this race since it's the first time I've ever done something like this.

Hoping Lisa gets back to you re: the quads. I don't have anything against quads (we own a Polaris 750) but I don't really want to race with them either. I'm slow and not very good and I'd hate to either get wrecked or make someone wreck because I can't get out of their way.

I see you're wearing a jacket in your pics - I'm debating at this point...jacket or chest protectors? I can't get my riding jacket over my CPs but I'm thinking I probably should wear them. Then again I'll have on two thermals under my jersey anyway so that might be enough. I can't wear a CamelBak over the CPs either.

Hope you like to talk because I'll probably have a million questions for you on Sunday. See you there!

The quads don't ride with the bikes anymore. It is a 3 hour timed race as stated above. I think my team member and I usually go 18 laps.

If you are going slow, please stay out of the faster riders way. The lapped traffic gets old especially when you're lapping someone and they try to race you, or keep you behind them.

I would never try to race someone who is passing me. Likely I would slow down out of nerves and trying to get out of their way. That aggressive $%^&%$ doesn't make any sense to me. I'm there to ride, not to make other people angry.

Then again, it always suprises me when someone is going 60 mph on Highway 95 and you go to pass them and suddenly they speed up to 75. What, I'm not gonna notice you just put the pedal to the metal so I couldn't pass you? *Heaven forbid* I should get in front of you even if you are going slower than me...I could rant all day...

I'm kinda glad to hear about the quads not racing with the bikes (you posted while I was still composing my enormo-reply).

I doubt I'll do that many laps; I figure if I'm lucky I might get in seven or eight. But then again, I don't have to prove anything to anyone (except myself). I'm just racing for fun. :applause:

Wow Darvo you sound fast, I'll try to stay out of your way, just don't roost me on purpose 'k? I get enough of that from my cousins & kid. :applause: Actually, they did run the quads with the bikes last fall and they were going to do it again at the Mud Fling but several of us emailed and said we weren't riding if they ran us together. Extreme stepped up and changed it for all of us (and them).

Quads will run start the same time as the PeeWees (Pee Wees are on a totally separate track from the quads & us).

Here's the scoop from Extreme:

New Harescramble Times

Pee Wee and Quad Sign Up 7:30-9:30am Meeting @ 9:45am

Pee Wee Run Time 10am-11am/ Quads Run Time 10am-12pm

Motorcycle Sign Up 7:30-12:00 Meeting @ 12:45

Motorcycle Run Time 1pm-4pm

All Times are Approximate

We'll look for you at the PeeWee's track ThreeJane!

Sorry if I came off the wrong way. I tend to get very tired at that race, and there is usually a fair amount of cash on the line.

I would prefer that the track was a little longer. Last year we were in lapped traffic on the second lap!

Anyways, hope everyone has fun and stays safe. It's never fun to see the paramedics out there.

Lisa updated the web site to show the track that we will be running. The same as the fall race. see extmotorsports.com, if you go to point series and pick hare scrambles you can get everyones laps and times from the fall race.

Darvo, your post was fine I was just poking fun, but I'm serious about the roost (kinda) try not to roost us pokey people. :eek:

YOU probably don't do it on purpose but my family and friends seem to love to spray me with rocks. I get em back though, since I make the sandwiches to take along, I just add a little bit of sand in some of them. Once in awhile I luck out & one of em will end up behind me for a few moments and I can put the 140's to work, maybe they are 130's now, I can't keep up with all the changes.

It's all good!:applause: I'm definitely with you on the avoidance of paramedics - hate to see them around!

West of Spokane 12 miles in Airway heights. Go to extmotorsports.com there are directions on the web site