Sign in to follow this  

Olympia ORV Rally - Pictures

We all have been very concerned about this prejudicial piece of Legislation which could silence our sport permanently. The sponsors of the bill claim it is about noise and common respect for your neighbors. In other words people should be considerate enough to not make noise so loud their neighbors are terrorized and sleepless. Therefore they claim to have put together this legislation to make sure you are considerate to your neighbors.

Do not be fooled by this rhetoric. If it was truly about sound it would not have been written excluding every source of sound except Off-Road Vehicles. This bill does not regulate any other source of sound. Not lawn mowers, Harley Davidson road bikes, cars with straight pipes and glass packs, power tools such as circular saws and so on. So if you disturb your neighbors with anything other than an ORV this piece of prejudicial legislation will not force you to be considerate to your neighbor.

Funny thing, we already have laws which will deal with loud noise at an inappropriate time, which would regulate your neighbor mowing his lawn or adding an addition to his house or starting and revving up an ORV at two in the morning. So we do not need this bill aimed squarely at ORV owners. It's not about sound it's about the right to own and use an ORV. It is a useless piece of legislation to over burden our courts and law enforcement when there already exist nuisance laws.

This bill is not about building a track in your back yard. That is not against the law. It is about making noise on that track from an ORV. Noise is what the framers of the bill claim they are trying to regulate. Again let me make this perfectly clear - IF NOISE WERE THE ISSUE THEY WOULD NOT EXCLUDE ALL OTHER SOURCES OF NOISE FROM SB5544. If you check police records you will find that ORV noise is not the kind of noise reported most often to the police. Loud family arguments would have to be one more frequent noise sources police respond to. But you see there are laws on the books to cover inappropriate noise. This bill is about eliminating ORVs and the only way the sponsors of this bill could redeem their integrity is to make this bill address all sources of noise. Consistency across the board - Oh consistency you are such a jewel. But then it would not pass and Mr. Kline is not really as concerned about noise as he is about the existence of ORVs. This is an obvious personal vendetta against Off-Road-Vehicles and Senator Kline needs to step up to the plate and declare his true intentions. Oh wait a minute, he did declare his true intentions in a personal email that has circulated through out the internet. Quote:

There is nothing sporting — athletic, physically demanding — about riding any machine anywhere. And it's a damned annoyance to folks who see the outdoors as a place to go for quiet and solitude and self-exploration. I would be happy to ban the use of the internal combustion engine off-road, by anyone without a handicapped sticker, subject to a stiff fine. Maybe we could call this an anti-obesity measure.

Please circulate this to all motorized sports enthusiasts, so they can remember never to vote for me.

Adam Kline

Anyway back to the rally. I was about 20 minutes late to the Rally. It started at noon and I arrived at 20 minutes after. I missed the first speaker or two but I stayed watching the Senate respond to various bills until 3:00. They never did deal with the bills that caused this rally and I needed to start back home which was over a 3 1/2 hour drive through rush hour traffic. Now I remember why I love eastern Washington so much (no traffic). There were only a few of our crowd left in the gallery when I left. They never did get around to dealing with this un-needed bill.

Here is the capital steps without us:

134856521-L.jpg

134856334-L.jpg

It is so much more colorful when we are around. That should say something about how we just brighten up every place we go:

134854817-L.jpg

134854931-L.jpg

Here are some of the speakers. Sorry but I didn't know their names so you folks help me out here:

134855050-L.jpg

134855145-L.jpg

134855728-L.jpg

134855663-L.jpg

Do you see yourself? Now if you don't see yourself is it because you were not there or did I miss you? Don't be upset with the question. I'm just trying to put you on a guilt trip. Is it working?

134855498-L.jpg

134855391-L.jpg

134855272-L.jpg

134856214-L.jpg

Boring! Dad I thought you said this would be fun. It's just talk talk talk. Enough already I wanna ride my bike:

134856117-L.jpg

Hmm this could be a possible ORV terrorist. They sure grow em young.

134856000-L.jpg

There were several Booths representing various clubs and Cycle dealers located on the capitol grounds. It was really exciting seeing all the planning and organization that went into this Rally.

134856664-L.jpg

And now the REAL REASON ALL THESE RIDERS WERE COMMITTED ENOUGH TO SHOW UP. They did not come to hear the speeches and they did not come to stand on the steps of the Legislative building. They didn't come to watch pretty girls. Nope it was something more carnal than that. They came and waited in line for what they really wanted:

134854508-L.jpg

They came for the FREE HOTDOGS:

134854610-L.jpg

The way to an ORV riders heart is through his stomach. And those dogs really looked good. You want a successful Rally then promise them free food:

134858070-L.jpg

The fearless leader encouraging the troops to go into the Legislative building and fill the gallery as the representatives vote on the bills. We all hoped they would get to the infamous sound bill but they did not:

134856793-L.jpg

And we did fill both galleries completely. I shot this picture of the Gallery directly across from the one I was seated in:

134856970-L.jpg

Time to use the zoom lens at catch a picture of our Fearless Leader clear across the room on the other Gallery section. He had no idea he was being shot:

134857133-L.jpg

Down on the floor is the enemy of all ORV riders. Can you pick him out? It's always good to be able to identify the enemy.

When I say enemy it is meant only from a political ideology point of view. He is a fellow American with whom I passionately disagree. He does hold a political office in our government and deserves respect for the sake of the office. Just felt I should clarify that because my passion and sarcasm could be misconstrued to mean I don't respect the office he holds. That simply isn't true:

134856891-L.jpg

134857194-L.jpg

At least this rep was more pleasing to the eye and I hope she is on the right side of this issue:

134857269-L.jpg

A few more of the Legislative floor:

134857052-L.jpg

134857373-L.jpg

Here is a shot of our state seal. If that is Gold I wonder if they would let me take it home:

134857821-L.jpg

The chandelier and dome directly above the seal:

134857910-L.jpg

I hope you have a more picturesque idea of what went on at the rally. Enjoy.

Great pictures, thanks for posting 'em as well as the photo's in the link. I guessed there were about 1000 of us there today (500 t-shirts alone) ... your thoughts? SB 5544 never was discussed today. Heard that it was effectively dead ... but not confirmed. As the one rep. told us today, it's not over 'till it's over. We had alot more of us ... and alot more sympathetic legislators there this year, and that's a very good sign! Great volunteer work on by a number of folks!

Yes, I saw myself in the pictures! I was very proud to be a part of this rally and will do more to ensure everyone's rights to ride and enjoy they're way of life too.

I thought Kline and Fraiser looked like two spoiled brats complaining that "their" life was interrupted. They could care less about their constituents. Amazing.

here is the reply that i got from my senator. Sounds like she needs more info..

From: "Fairley, Sen. Darlene" <Fairley.Darlene@leg.wa.gov>

To: "shawn johnson" <shawn_367@hotmail.com>

Subject: RE: Opposition to SB 5544

Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:22:07 -0800

Shawn:

I've heard from constituents on both sides of this issue. The reason I

support this bill is because I really think these noise levels are

affecting the quality of life of some of our neighborhoods. For

example, I've heard of people who build tracks to run their ORVs on in

their backyard. This creates a high noise level that I wouldn't want to

live next to.

For those who don't tinker with the factory-set levels on their ORV and

use their ORVs in most established recreation areas, this bill shouldn't

have any affect.

As our open spaces get developed for housing, the needs of

recreationalists and residents seem to clash more and more. I realize

the vast majority of ORV users are courteous, but the ones who blast the

neighborhoods is what I'm concerned with. That's why I'm supporting a

request in this year's budget to preserve Reiter Trails in Gold Bar as

an official ORV Park, so folks in our area will have an additional

established area to use.

Darlene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:58 AM

To: Fairley, Sen. Darlene

Subject: Opposition to SB 5544

shawn johnson

18817 bagley pl n

shoreline, WA 98133-4249

March 7, 2007

The Honorable Darlene Fairley

Washington Senate

PO Box 40432

Olympia, WA 98504-0432

Dear Senator Fairley:

I recently learned that SB 5544 was passed by the Senate consumer

protection committee and is now scheduled to be heard by the rules

committee, despite strong opposition from many Washington State families

and businesses. This bill would all but eliminate my family and friends

ability to enjoy our motorcycles and ATV's off road, and must not be

adopted. The current language contains a provision against "clearly

audible" ORV sound, something that is both subjective and potentially in

conflict with current federal laws. Also included is a provision which

would reward nuisance lawsuits and clog our courts with unneeded

litigation between neighbors by creating an incentive to sue rather than

work towards mutually agreeable solutions. ORV recreation is a family

activity and must not be made illegal for all but those who can afford

to

purchase larger parcels of land away from urban areas. Please support

the

efforts of the Washington State Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (WOHVA),

the

Washington State Motorcycle Dealers Association (WSMDA) and the American

Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and vote against this bill.

Sincerely,

shawn j

I don't know why but from the way he talked I thought Kline would be a lean mean rock climbing machine He looks like he spends more time on the patio eating suspect brownies and listening to the Grateful Dead.

I don't know why but from the way he talked I thought Kline would be a lean mean rock climbing machine He looks like he spends more time on the patio eating suspect brownies and listening to the Grateful Dead.

My thoughts exactly!

If there are kids/folks "terrorizing" our neighborhoods on what ever I think there are enough laws on the books to deal with those few irresposible individuals.

Great to see all the kids at the rally, not just for the ORV issues but it gets them involved in how our government works.

Nick, you stood right behind me and took my picture and didn't say hello?

Sorry I didn't see you.

Nick, you stood right behind me and took my picture and didn't say hello?

Sorry I didn't see you.

Sorry, when I am concentrating on picture taking I don't actually see anyones face or recognize them. One track mind which can only do one thing at a time. Either I chew bubble gum or I walk but I can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. :applause:

At least this rep was more pleasing to the eye and I hope she is on the right side of this issue:

LOL!

My buddy Scone and I noticed that too....and she had no rock on her finger. :lol: Could see that from up above and across the room. We are two rows above and to the left of John in the Gallary pic. The pics outside on the steps had me concealed behind signs. :applause: But I can see the people that were around me.

Rhino