Sign in to follow this  

Another whoop question....

Ok I'v got the overall jist of a whoops section. I can even get on top and skimm certain sections. However I have a question about holding on with you knees. If you hold on to tight, you legs get rigged, and you cant soak up the shock with you legs, causing you to get bucked off. If you hold on too loose the rear can swap, and thats never pretty. So can anyone help me with this fine line of how much pressure?

Enough pressure to keep you standing when you let go of the handlebars on a straight whilst standing up. This sort of pressure allows the bike to slide back and forth between your boots/knees that little bit that it needs. If you overgrip and the hit is to fast you will lose your body position by being bucked about or worse your feet will come off.

Enough pressure to keep you standing when you let go of the handlebars on a straight whilst standing up. This sort of pressure allows the bike to slide back and forth between your boots/knees that little bit that it needs. If you overgrip and the hit is to fast you will lose your body position by being bucked about or worse your feet will come off.

Did that Thursay afternoon, but recovered. The section is awfully uneven, and rhythem is hard to get down.

Get your weight back and grip with your boots- your calves and ankles. Don't worry about your knees.:applause:

BALLS ON THE PEGS, the most important thing I found out about whoops. Track as straight as possible, and dont oversqueeze with your knees, keep them firm but allow them to absorb.

mikerides33 said it right.

Take up a bent stance on the floor and move as if you're squatting weights. Notice that your legs all the way along feel strong and ready to react??? Kinda the same feel thru whoops. You want strong/ready quads and on the balls of your feet. You want to row like you're escaping alcatraz.

As far as tracking straight, I agree, but once you get comfortable w/ whoops (many, many folks don't) learn to pass in them. My class of rider has a lot of guys "afraid" or hesitant thru whoops. That's the one place I know I can get them. I'll pass, wheelie, whatever thru and buy them. Mentally, if they get blown by in the whoops it's more work to pass me again.

Anyway...

I never thought to grip with my boots, thats a great idea, and I feel insane for never trying that. Thanks guys.

take the balls of your feet, and make an outward push against your pegs. It will help push your calves inward and use that nice leather area on your boots (at least i have it on my tech 8's) to help you grip the frame!