Sign in to follow this  

2005 KX250F valve shimming.

Checked the valve clearences and came up with:

Left Exaust-.007

Right Exaust-.006

Rt Intake- 0 clearence

Lt Intake .004

From wht I hear its better to run your motor at .006 clearence for exaust and .004 on Intake. Alls i'm going to be doing is shimming the right intake then. What shim size should I use? thanks guys

A=(B-C)+D

A= The shim that we are trying to get

B=Current Valve clearance

C=Valve clearance u are aiming for...

D=present shim thickness....

yes i usually put the valves at the lower end of the specification...in mm..its .10-.15 for intake...and .17-.22 for exhuast

Run the valves at .004"-Intake and .006"-Exhaust, You get the best performance this way. PC actually run their valves at .004" for both Intake & Exhaust.

why do ppl run there valves so tight?

doesnt the manual recomend around .10 for intake and .15 for exhaust?

So what should i shim my valves to if i dont care about performance and want the most life out of them?

Like the other guys said your not gonna get any longer life out of them running them at the lose end of the spec or any less running them at the tight end of the spec,but what you can do is run them to lose and have to much valve slap and that will wear them out quicker.Sometimes if you have the hot cams shim kit you don't have a choice with what your gonna get.They change the valve lash at.002mm per shim.Example lets say your right intake is at .003 you want .004 you have a 2.95 shim in there and you put in a 2.90

your valve lash will be .005. on my bikes I try to stay at .008 exh and .005 int.

everyone is using different units of measurment.

.1 mm (millimeters) = .004" (inches) - intake

.15 mm (millimeters) = .006"(inches) - exhaust

everyone is using different units of measurment.

.1 mm (millimeters) = .004" (inches) - intake

.15 mm (millimeters) = .006"(inches) - exhaust

we know....everytime i see a valve clearance thread...i usually see the measurements in inches....when ever i refer to valve clearance i use millimeters...i think it is easier numbers to deal with