Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Why Me (SHOCKED... you too?)

Recommended Posts

Please tell me why I am receiving a "shock" on my right handle bar grip. I have Acerbis hand guard's. It seems like when I am riding in whoops. Has anybody else have that happen, or maybe I should be going faster....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I actually have the same problem. Is that ground wire behind the right side or left side of the radiator? Thanks.

You do???? You are getting shocked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure your kill switch is tight, if it is, losen it, move it out of the way and file off a little spot of paint from the bars, then re-mount the kill switch making sure the metal clamp has contact with the spot you cleared off.

I had that on my 450R for the longest time, drove me nuts!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was getting it from Static and so was another person in our group that was on a quad. At least that is the conclusion we came to. We were out in cal city

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You do???? You are getting shocked?

Yeah. I used to get it on the Yammy too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By chance were those whoops on a power line road??? That's where I get shocked! The static from the high tension wires...... :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started to get shocked about a couple of months ago. On wide open throttle at times. I also noticed at the same time my top end wasn't as clean as it use to be. At first I thought I was going crazy, but it was just happening too often. After reading this thread, I decided to find out what was causing my problem.

I pulled my gas tank off and I noticed my spark plug wire wasn't seated all the way down. I pulled the spark plug wire off and I noticed something was loose in the spark plug wire tip. Apparently, our spark plug wires can come apart. I pulled the loose tip off and noticed it had threads and a inline resistor right behind it. I cleaned it off and reinstalled the inline resistor and threaded cap. Put everything back together and took the bike out today! I didn't get shocked once and top end is much cleaner! I'm a happy camper again!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got shocked this past weekend riding under the power lines north of Barstow. I rode once with this Phd. Electrical engineer from SoCal Edison and he would not get within 100 yards of those heavy duty power lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just got shocked this past weekend riding under the power lines north of Barstow. I rode once with this Phd. Electrical engineer from SoCal Edison and he would not get within 100 yards of those heavy duty power lines.

It sounds like there are 2 reasons for getting shocked. Something wrong with your bike or riding under power lines. A buddy and I stop at the same time once as we both got shocked while going under some power lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, update I got shocked again, looked up and i got power lines right above me, dam i mean close, is that right. Dam, they need to put those things higher.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, the secrets out! It's a proven fact that if you line your helmet with aluminum foil you won't get shocked when riding under power lines. As a fringe benefit, the people on the military bases scattered throughout the desert won't be able to read your brainwaves either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can't be from the power lines. Theres just too much energy there for you to survive IMO. I bet its either static, or the EMF effecting something on the bike.

If you got hit with even a low line voltage of 15kv you'd know it... or well, whoever witnessed it would know what killed you.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tell ya...

Some funny comments about "the power lines"... but come on fellas... :lol:

I too get shocked when riding dunes. But this is 99% when I'm behind someone in thier roost and charging hard. It's sooo bad, I've had to let go of the bars.

I at first had this happen on my Banshee (quad) some years ago... and then on some recent bikes. It's always when I'm high in the RPM range. And doesn't seem to be the levers hitting my knuckles from that high RPM vibration. But hey... it is happening! And it's the freakiest thing.

How about sending this to MYTH BUSTERS! :applause: I'm not sure what would be funnier... them trying to ride, or listening to the bickering.

:eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JOHNNY J, it is funny isn't it, well hell I was desperate, "ouch" I just got shocked sitting at my desk, "shit", anybody have habe any tin foil....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×