Sign in to follow this  

How Do I Tell If My DR650 Has Been Lowered?

I bought a barely used 2006 DR650 last Thanksgiving. The bike had 200 miles on it, and Tucson Motorsports knocked the price down to just over 4000. It seemed like a good deal at the time. I also got lucky because the bike had the gel seat and the larger rear cargo rack already installed. It wasn't until January when I took the bike in for its 600 mile service that I saw an 07 DR650 on the showroom floor with the stock seat. The 07 looked taller than my 06, so I asked the service guy if mine by chance had been lowered by the original owner. The service guy told me mine had been lowered since the rear shock setting was on the lower bolt hole. He raised that rear setting to the upper hole for free, but I'm wondering if the whole bike was originally lowered. How do I tell if my front fork has been lowered too. I am 6' so I don't need the bike lowered, but I don't want to be riding around on a bike that is off-centered. Thanks in advanced.

I reckon the easiest way would be measure (with the bike on a stand) the distance between the top of the fork outer and the bottom of the lower triple and compare your measurement to the 07' in the shop.

Cheers,

Dylan

If the bike was lowered per factory specs then in addition to the lower shock bolt being changed the spring collar on the rear shock was flipped also. If the front is lowered per factory specs then the two spacers that normally rest on top of the springs in the front fork will have been repositioned to the bottom side of the damper rod in the fork. I would suggest getting hold of a service manual (you can search this site for a link to a downloadable copy) and comparing the images in the manual to your bike. Also, if the bike was lowered per factory specs, the side stand should be silver(shorter than the stock black one). I have seen one bike that was lowered and the owner cut and rewelded the stock black side stand. Perhaps the easiest thing to do will be to measure the length of the side stand on a stock bike and compare it to yours. A stock length side stand will not work with a lowered bike.