Sign in to follow this  

1998 to 2003 best 125?

I'm looking for a 125 in the 98 to 03 range--what would you guys suggest on the brand?:applause:

Judging from your avatar, I'm guessing you want Yamaha. I would say anything but Honda. Not that I don't like Hondas, it's just that their 2-strokes are known for being the slowest. I don't want to get into a fight with someone telling me how their Honda is faster than everyone elses bike. I'm just repeating what the magazines said.

Judging from your avatar, I'm guessing you want Yamaha. I would say anything but Honda. Not that I don't like Hondas, it's just that their 2-strokes are known for being the slowest. I don't want to get into a fight with someone telling me how their Honda is faster than everyone elses bike. I'm just repeating what the magazines said.

Well hondas do suck! :applause: to all you honda riders get a real bike!

Well hondas do suck! :applause: to all you honda riders get a real bike!

98-03 YZ125 or an 03, maybe 02 RM125... since that's about when Suzuki began getting up to par with the Yamaha.

KTM had an awesome motor back then, but don't have the kind of suspension/handling that a japanese bike does... especially the older ones.

For example, I once rode a 03 250SX, and aside from the great power it had, I still prefered the handing and suspension of my 1993 RM250, and that bike is nearly 15 years old... 'nuff said.

I think I'm going to go with a Yamaha, I just wanted to post this to see if people had any other bike sggestion. I just don't want to regret my decision, you know?

Did you see the issue of Dirt Rider that had an article about 125's? Only one Honda, the rest were YZ's and nothing else. Know why? Pretty much everything else was and is a time bomb. A buddy of mine had a KX125 that was the single most unreliable bike I've ever seen in my life. He bought it new, only ran race gas through it and I think it seized about 4 times in the one year before he sold it.

I had an '02 125sx that ripped! If I was looking for a bike in that range I wouldn't hesitate on a 125sx.

Did you see the issue of Dirt Rider that had an article about 125's? Only one Honda, the rest were YZ's and nothing else. Know why? Pretty much everything else was and is a time bomb. A buddy of mine had a KX125 that was the single most unreliable bike I've ever seen in my life. He bought it new, only ran race gas through it and I think it seized about 4 times in the one year before he sold it.

Did he take care of it. Did he do proper break in on the piston. Did he let it warm up before riding it hard. Did he change the oil regularly. I know 5, I think, people who own kx125s and they sware up and down by them. They wouldn't buy anything else. They haven't had any problems and I know they don't do proper maintance.

Yes to all your questions. Glad to hear you and your freinds have had good luck with your KX's, but my buddies KX 125 was not even close to reliable.

definitely a yamaha for those years, im selling a 2001 yz125 right now for 1800 in great condition with a couple extras.

definitely a yamaha for those years, im selling a 2001 yz125 right now for 1800 in great condition with a couple extras.

are you kidding me? I picked up an 03 125 sx for $2000 USD. In crazy good condition and had a bunch of stuff on it!

yamaha- good motor, probaly best all around

suzuki- also good motor, better suspension

ktm- fastest, worst suspension

honda- probably the slowest, best handling

kawi- not really sure about them but i think they were pretty fast,i know they had kayabas and i like showas better so i would probably go with an rm. i know in the 90s the rm 125s were awesome, and i dont think they got any worse, yamahas just got better motors and their suspension was probably close but i personally would rather have a bike with showa susp. nowadays the KYB on my YZ is growing on me but i always swore by the showa.

Guys, we are talking about a used bike here. So even the fastest most reliable dirt bike (off the show room floor), could be a P.O.S. by now. I don't care who was winning what back then, today it's been used and most likely abused.

125pinger, I bet that deep down there's a brand of bike that you really like. So just start looking for a clean one of those. The one that fits your budget and looks like it's been hardly ridden, but extrememly well taken care of will be your bike.

Happy hunting! :applause:

• Like 1

If you can find an 02 RM125, ive heard from various magazine shootouts that they have extremely good low end power and all around power for a 125.