Sign in to follow this  

First oil change

Oh my gosh... what a total pain in the butt!:applause: That was more work that on any other bike I've ever owned!

The way I like to think about it is if anything goes wrong or comes apart in your engine, you'll be glad those screens and filters are in there. I'm used to it now and when I change the oil in my CRF and look at that single little paper filter, I like my KTM even more!

What I want to know is, how do you change the oil and not get oil all over the bike when you pull those filters? I was also hoping I would not have to pull the skid plate, but I was not so fortunate.

I was reading my manual the other night and it gave me the impression that you're supposed to turn the bike on it's side for the removal and replacement of the filters and the oil inside of the filters. I was half asleep though so you might want to check. I agree though, what a pain.

I was reading my manual the other night and it gave me the impression that you're supposed to turn the bike on it's side for the removal and replacement of the filters and the oil inside of the filters. I was half asleep though so you might want to check. I agree though, what a pain.

Yes you have to place the bike on it's side for installation of new filters. That however is only so that you can fill the filter cases half full of oil. I suppose though of you were to lay the bike on it's side for a couple of minutes after you drain the oil from the crank case. Then stand it back up and drain again, then there would be very little oil loss from the filter housings. There would still be some though b/c the filters themselves are soaked in oil.

Oh come on now. I have the exact same bike. I just changed mine, took like ten minutes. Drain the oil, check the screens. Lay bike over on a milk crate and pull the filters. put some oil in filter cavity and install new filters. Button everything back up and fill with oil. Everyone complains about oil changes and valve adjustments. Takes 20 minutes to do the valves. You have to pull the skid plate if you want to check to bottom screen anyway. Although I have never found anything and didnt check it this time.

Just did my first oil change (250 XCF-W) and

followed the directions from a thread here.

Not a problem

the only thing I will change in next

oil change is the lower crank case screen bolt.

It's prone to get damaged after a few oil changes

and if you don't have the right tools to take it out.

hope that helps

Charles

• Like 1

If you'll get the engine hot, the lower screen bolt won't be a problem.

A little anti-sieze on the threads when you re-install it helps too.