Sign in to follow this  

illegal dumping

This is a major issue for those of us that use public land. Just one of a few ways we get trails closed. You can help by one, not dumping and two reporting those who do. I suggest carrying a small disposable camera, if you see anyone dumping take a picture of their liscense plate and a picture of them dumping, then turn the camera over to the ranger/D.A./sherrif department, let them know that you are willing to testify that you saw said person commiting the crime(you most likely wont have to do anything) Those of us who regularly use OHV trails are much more likely to witness the act than a lone ranger (no pun intended) just happening upon the scene. I highly suggest not trying to interfeer or approach the individuals for obvious safety reasons. Just two simple pictures can help with a conviction and keep our trails open. As it is people know that the chances of them getting caught dumping are slim, but if we all do our part we can keep nature pure and enjoy our trails at the same time.

I've reported people dumping trash. Cops don't care! They would rather impound a quad because some kid is riding in his moms back yard than go after real criminals.

If you call to report someone is dumping trash and even if u have the license plate of the dudes truck the cops say "We will be there when the ossifers have time".

If someone calls to report a rider in their back yard the fuzz show up with 3 cars, a tow truck and a total of 6 cops to write the kid upwithin 3 mins of the call.

Somehow we get blamed for the trash thats dumped. I personally find it pretty hard to ride with an old washing machine strapped to my back.

Well, some problem areas, in my region, do have signs posted with a number to call to report illegal dumping. The camera is a good idea, although the resolution will have to be good enough to make out the license plate number. Maybe writing it down, too, will help.

I've reported people dumping trash. Cops don't care! They would rather impound a quad because some kid is riding in his moms back yard than go after real criminals.

If you call to report someone is dumping trash and even if u have the license plate of the dudes truck the cops say "We will be there when the ossifers have time".

If someone calls to report a rider in their back yard the fuzz show up with 3 cars, a tow truck and a total of 6 cops to write the kid upwithin 3 mins of the call.

Somehow we get blamed for the trash thats dumped. I personally find it pretty hard to ride with an old washing machine strapped to my back.

That's not necessarily the truth. Some of us, if we have any sort of leads, we tend to see where we are lead.

Gonna get your ass kicked getting close enough to snap the pic. Use your cell and call the ranger HQ.

Somehow we get blamed for the trash thats dumped. I personally find it pretty hard to ride with an old washing machine strapped to my back.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, ran across a shopping cart way the hell in the middle of nowhere a few months back. Still can't figure that one out, maybe it dropped out of the sky.

Been down this trail ...in my own neighborhood. Was out running around in the dez,

Caught this couple of dirt bags a few blocks from my house and confronted them.

I informed them they could drive to the dump ten miles from here and they would

accept the type of stuff they were dumping for free (Tree branches and such)

They seemed ok with it, hopped in their truck and left.

Two days later, same truck driving down my block full of crap, headed

out to the open desert.

I grabbed my camera and followed them back out to another

spot...again, they were shoveling their crap right in the middle of a dirt

road.

This time they were annoyed with me and things got a bit heated when I started

taking pictures.

After exchanging words, I backed down, I had my camera, with a close up of

the license plate in hand and called the police. To my surprise, Police said there

wasn't anything they could do without them physically witnessing the act...

even though I have a half a dozen pictures of the vehicle, persons and a clear

shot of the license plate.

The next best thing we did was get a hold of the local newspaper and they ran a nice

little story about it. They still would not publish the pictures, but the details were there.

After the story ran, I never saw the people again, hopefully they saw the write up.

Today, My wife and I decided to dust off the guns and do some shooting,

There is a pretty nice little dead end canyon near our place. A lot

of folks use it for target shooting. I think we hauled out ten times

more spent shells than we shot.

It does amaze me the crap I see dumped out in the desert. it takes all types.

Most of the larger items we see near the towns are dumped by locals.

There is actually a motorhome laying on its side, partially stripped, and

all of the contents are strewn around it less than a mile from my house.

People who commute up from the city generally will not drag out couches,

refrigerators and water heaters.

Here in Cal City, I been going to a lot of City Council meetings. They

are going to be crunching down BIG time on the construction trash

that blows off the job sites with big fines and more code enforcement.

I could go on with this for hours...but will not bore you guys with it:crazy:

Wayne Nosala

Here's a story thats almost funny. Around here scrap metal is going for $7 per 100 lbs. A few weeks ago there were two idiots dumping a fullsize pickup load of washing machines, refridgerators, and a bunch of other heavy steel stuff on the side of a dirt road that runs back in behind my property. They probably could have got at least $100 for all that crap and the scrap metal place would have unloaded it for them. I still haven't figured out what those retards were thinking.

yeah here in reno nevada(sun valley) it is out of control truck after truck every day its like its a city dump

no one cares