Sign in to follow this  

Weights, how can this be?

So my buddy is picking up an 07 WR250 today from Taskys, great bikes and I love them but... How the heck can the TE250 at 238.1 and TC250 at 223.1 be lighter than the WR250 2 stroke at a whopping 243.3? That just does not make sense. The TE has all the street stuff and a starter and battery. Are the dry weights on the Husky web site that far off or is this real differences in weight? Odd. I knew the TC was a little lighter but 20 pounds? :lol: And I had no idea the TE250 would be. :applause:

My '00 WR250 with stock 2.9 gal tank full of gas, all guards, computer, Michelin S12's, heavy duty tubes, full BD dual sport kit, 256lbs. '02 WR125 with stock 2.9 gal tank full of gas all the same equipment as WR250, except for enduro light kit and wiring harness. Newer bikes have slightly smaller tanks. I'd say with extra equipment and nearly 20lbs of gas these are pretty close to what Husky claimed. This was on a County certified scale. My '82 250WR weighs 250lbs with just over 3 gals of fuel.

Norman

So my buddy Adam is picking up an 07 WR250 today from Taskys, great bikes and I love them but... How the heck can the TE250 at 238.1 and TC250 at 223.1 be lighter than the WR250 2 stroke at a whopping 243.3? That just does not make sense. The TE has all the street stuff and a starter and battery. Are the dry weights on the Husky web site that far off or is this real differences in weight? Odd. I knew the TC was a little lighter but 20 pounds? :lol: And I had no idea the TE250 would be. :applause:

Ride

I am interested in your opinion comparing the WR 250 and the YZ 250 as offroad bikes

Ride

I am interested in your opinion comparing the WR 250 and the YZ 250 as offroad bikes

I'll do a good writeup some day soon but i rode a 06 WR250 at the demo day which felt a lot like my YZ. Pretty comparable if you ask me. Of coarse the Huskys come way more outfitted for off road. The motor has a lot more flywheel weight and is much more controllable for the woods.

The difference between the TE and TC at 16 lbs seems about right, but the TE is NOT lighter than the WR. I suspect that the TC and the WR are close together in weight.

but the TE is NOT lighter than the WR.

do you know this because you weighed them or speculating?

do you know this because you weighed them or speculating?

A combination of weighing some bikes, feel from lifting, and observing a general trend in weight reported in magazines.

I have weighed the wr250 and my Husaberg on the same bathroom scale ( I know it is not scientific and leaves room for error). Both are right at 240 lbs w/ ~1 gal of fuel. The wr had lights and barkbusters. My Husaberg has the starter and battery removed , has a ti exhaust and contains mousse tubes f/r. Both bikes were shod w/ S12s. The stock berg (with estart) is 2 to 5 lbs lighter than any other estart 450 (or bigger) enduro bike, and 10 lbs or more lighter than a Husky 450. The Husky 250 is not significantly lighter than the 450.

... Are the dry weights on the Husky web site that far off or is this real differences in weight?...

Best explanation I have heard was 'dry' weight was the number a computer program comes up with from CAD drawings prior to cutting metal and is conveniently a bit lighter than real life and handy for marketing purposes.

But I really don't know. The only 'fair' measure of weight to me is the curb / kerb weight - everything ready to go except fuel - because the rider can decide how much fuel to put in the bike especially with those huge fuel tanks so many people are using.

NO - idea about 2 stroke weights - no use for a newer 2 stroke in CA to me (red sticker - restricted riding season) but here is a thread regarding weights of various 2006 bikes esp the Husqvarna TEs.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3040532#post3040532

It even has sweet street bike pics in it. :applause:

It even has sweet street bike pics in it. :applause:

WOW, you were not kidding :lol:

A combination of weighing some bikes, feel from lifting, and observing a general trend in weight reported in magazines.

I have weighed the wr250 and my Husaberg on the same bathroom scale ( I know it is not scientific and leaves room for error). Both are right at 240 lbs w/ ~1 gal of fuel. The wr had lights and barkbusters. My Husaberg has the starter and battery removed , has a ti exhaust and contains mousse tubes f/r. Both bikes were shod w/ S12s. The stock berg (with estart) is 2 to 5 lbs lighter than any other estart 450 (or bigger) enduro bike, and 10 lbs or more lighter than a Husky 450. The Husky 250 is not significantly lighter than the 450.

With all due respect....I've never understood weighing a bike with a gallon of gas or 1/2 a tank. It always seems to me people are afraid to know what they really weigh ready to go. I was suprised my WR125 weighed 236lbs, but the County Certified coal yard scale shouldn't lie. The bike feels about 30lbs lighter than my WR250. The dry weights on '07 Husky USA site must be wet weight, no gas.

Norman

I like wet weight no gas because gas tanks are different sizes, I want to know what the bikes weighs, i know what gas weighs.

I like wet weight no gas because gas tanks are different sizes, I want to know what the bikes weighs, i know what gas weighs.

That makes more sense than 1 gal or 1/2 a tank. I weigh with full tanks because it's easier than draining the tank and that's what the bike actually weighs when I get on it too ride. On an aside.... I know big tanks make more sense out west as you get farther from the truck. Some of my buddies get the biggest tank they can and then never fill them full, even when they race. I disregard the AMA rules and carry a pint of gas when I ride an enduro.:applause:

Norman

The reason i like to weigh them with no gas is I like big tanks for 70 plus miles loops but often times if I am at a MX track or at a race with 40 mile loops I do not fill it all the way because it makes no sense to haul 12 pounds of high mounted gas around the MX track that you will not use.