Sign in to follow this  

400sm commuter

Hi, just considering a SM for daily commutes here in San Diego. My 400E is not very happy at freeway speeds, geared for off road, sounds and feels a little wound out. Is the SM a better ride at freeway speeds, 70+? Thanks.

Yes many people do use it for a commute. I would be a little careful because it really only goes 90 or so but it will take the commute no problem.

I would be a little cautious on that one I just bought mine and only have 100 miles on it but to run 70 for any amount of time seems a little wound out, but I could be wrong. Changing gears would be an option since the bike does ride very good at speed!!!! I love it and will comute on it any day that the weather allows. BUY ONE you will not regret it!!

You will find yourself doing a lot more than commuting on it!! Before you know it you will be tearin all over the place feeling like a kid again with a smile on your face laughing about that last big dip in the rode that you caught a little air off of just as you threw it over to get the back end out into the corner and........Why am I even trying to explain anyone that has one will tell you that they are the most fun you could have on two wheels and there will be a small tear in your eye when you realize that it is late and time to put it away in the garage. And that is comming from a guy that only has a hundred miles on his!!

70 doesn't wind it out, 85+ does. I commute everyday on the highway, and weekend high speed runs for a couple of hours at a time. Ive got 10800 miles in 10 months! No problems!

gear it out and you will be fine ,my bike has no problem going 105+ but im a skinny little guy. im looking into gearing mine for more highway top speed since the bike is my commuter/beast .

Start by going 1 tooth up on your counter shaft sprocket, that will give you more top end. You should have no problems gearing the bike for commuting, no sense in dropping your S for an SM. Then again, you could get a spare set of 17s (more sprocket changes though) and you could really enjoy commuting.