Sign in to follow this  

Gearing for MX riding?

i had an 05 and ran stock gearing on it for 2 seasons.

this season i have an 07 which comes with the same gearing, i believe its 13/49.

i was wondering if anyone had any experience with changing to perhaps a 50 tooth rear sprocket?

any opinions/recommendations?

thanks

you wont notice much with a 1 tooth increase. How tight the track is should be your deciding factor. The stock on my crf is a 51 tooth and i just choose to run a 52 instead. Not much noticeable difference just a tiny bit more grunt down low.

Thanks for the input. i figured that more RMZ owners would or replied given the fact that we only have 4 gears to ride with.

i wasnt sure if that was going to be a big deciding factor as well?

i ride sand tracks a lot - so goin up 1 tooth might make it easier for me to leave the bike in 3rd gear around corners instead of bogging it down or going down to second gear. i was thinking less shifting? perhaps?

Any time you go up in size on the rear sprocket you may have to shift more. The gears will seem shorter, going smaller on the rear would let you pull a gear longer but you will lose some down low. Seeing as the RMZ is a 4 speed i would go a tooth up due to the fact the gears are longer than a conventional 5 speed anyways. Just so you have a refrence point the supercross guys run at least a 52-54 in the rear. But those tracks are super tight so i dont think you will need to go that extreme.

Thanks for the insight - much appreciated.

i think that i may make a little change after i have gotten used to my new bike. perhaps a 50 tooth. just up 1. possibly.

thanks

no problem. Im sure if your ride mainly track the +1 in the back will help out a bit. It makes the power delivery much more controllable/smoother.

i too had an 05 and now have an 07, i find the 07 is geared shorter when drag racing against my riding buddy (he still has an 05 with stock gearing) with this in mind i am thinking of dropping some teeth on the rear sprocket or trying the 15 tooth front (effectively taking 3 off the rear) and giving it a try, this will also smooth her out a bit, i also have a selection of different number tooth rear sprockets and i will be testing them to see whats best over the next few weeks.

I just got a 07 near thanksgiving. I ran a 52 in arenacross worked real well! I just put a 50 tooth on this weekend and rode outdoor on a pretty long wide open track with lots of uphill and some tight turns and it worked great!! You should be really happy with a 50!:applause::lol:

I run a 50T rear as well, its perfect for the outdoor/ supercross track that is local to me.

LilWick

i too had an 05 and now have an 07, i find the 07 is geared shorter when drag racing against my riding buddy (he still has an 05 with stock gearing) with this in mind i am thinking of dropping some teeth on the rear sprocket or trying the 15 tooth front (effectively taking 3 off the rear) and giving it a try, this will also smooth her out a bit, i also have a selection of different number tooth rear sprockets and i will be testing them to see whats best over the next few weeks.

So when you say your 07 is geared shorter - you mean that you shift BEFORE your friend on his 05?

therefor if your friend put a bigger rear sporcket on his bike he would be shifting sooner making your bike shift points the same??

yes i guess so. my bike tops out just a bit sooner than his so he outdrags me, i will be looking to take teeth off the rear for more top end not like the other responses on this thread as i think there is more than enough bottom end for outdoor motocross.

I ran a 50 at Southwick and it was awesome. I have run that ever since!

I just received my 50T the other day. I can't wait to give it a try. First I have to figure out the gear jumping issue I've developed.

I tried a 50th on mine it was horrible. Maybe on a arena cross track it would be good but the gearing was too short. I found I was riding the bike almost always in 4th gear. I'm back to the stock gearing and it's way better.

Just my $0.02..... :applause:

Wow!

That made quite a difference. I don't know yet if I love it or hate it. All I had a chance to do was rip up and down my pasture, but from that experience I can see some big limitations. That said, I don't race in my pasture.

I'm taking the RMZ to the woods tomorrow, that will give me an idea of how much clutch I have to use. My initial thoughts are that it will be better in the woods. The real test will be the MX track. Again, from my initial impression, it seems like you could ride the entire track in 4th, maybe 3rd if you get punk'd in a turn.