Sign in to follow this  

Is rampart ridable??

Just wondering if anyone knows if Rampart is ridable. I know the gate is still shut, but I want to know how much snow is on the trails. Has anyone tried going out there?

Remember last week when they were searching for that woman that was hiking in the area off Jackson Creek Road and they found her dead?

Well they were searching for her on snowmobiles.

I think that is a good indicator.

I talked to Scott Dollus (the head ranger for the Rampart area) a bit more than two weeks ago, at that time he said the open, south facing slopes were melting, but anything on the north side or shaded was still measured in FEET of snow.

I doubt that Rampart will really be ridable for quite some time yet.

Who can we contact when the date nears April 1 to see if they are going to open the gate?

Call the South PLatte Ranger District and they can tell you.

I'm headed up to Rampart this weekend, I'll recon the area and report back with the situation. Not sure if I'll be in the same area you all like to ride at, but I'll try to get to Rampart Range Road, Rampart Reservoir area (coming from Monument). I dunno know though, I've been riding trails up there ever since 1987, and typically the trails aren't really ridable until late april early may. Although I have seen years when you could ride up there earilier than usual. Well, like everyone else I'm really "itching" to get riding so I'm gonna check it out. :applause:

Well, as I suspected Rampart is not ridable yet. Atleast not coming from Monument. I went up saturday and could not make it to the top( rampart range road). Two jeeps were stuck in 2-3 ft of snow. Many parts of the road have no snow at all, but there are still areas that have heavy amounts accumulated. The trails still have snow on them to but were getting there, probably another month from now will be riding. :applause:

I tried Rampart today from the north end - it's still not ready, although there were several people giving a try, so it won't take too long before there's a groove.

At the moment, the trails (near the road) are ridable in spots, but impassable in others. The road is reasonably ridable (although there are still spots where quads have cut deep grooves in snow/ice) for about the first six miles. After that it gets noticeably more difficult. I gave up at 8.

If you do go, be careful, I got suckered once where the snowmobiles/quads had tracked enough dirt up on top of the snow that it looked like real trail and I thought I was OK. Of course, I sunk in up to my axles.

What do you think about Sprucewood? I'd think that part of that trail

would be rideable.

HMMMM. Was planning on a late-afternoon quickie tomorrow.

Iain

There's no trail that's rideable right now. If my memory of the trail down to Sprucewood (from Rampart Range Road) is correct, I think that would be one of later trails to open up.

I was thinking of 692/3 (whichever the one is that remains) that goes north from the parking lot just past the Sprucewood - it is on a south-facing hill, in my experience (this will be my third season), that trail is one of the first to open up, as it is south facing.

I only expect to be able to get to the powerline - I don't think I'll be able to go down the backside (north facing), but a few laps on that would be good:).

It looks like I'll be giving it a shot this afternoon, will report back.

Iain

any new reports? I would think that the rain we had along with the nice warm week would make it hard on the snow to stick around.

Anyone head up there in the last couple of days?