Sign in to follow this  

Bike's all ready to go for the summer

Got my XR all ready to go today.

I had the guy at the bike shop order a rear spring for my bike, it never came. He didn't know what was going on with Race Tech, he said for some reason they still haven't shipped, he said if it was him he'd just order it somewhere else. So I think I'm just gonna not order a rear spring this year, maybe I will later in the year, but not now. It never really bothered me all that much.

Resprung the front around Christmas, cleaned it all up good, greased everything, did all that good stuff. Today I put it all back together, changed the oil (Amsoil synthetic, 10W-40), put on a new chain (DID 520VM), the guy at the bike shop showed me how to change the shock oil for free (I just had to pay for supplies) because I had to wait so long to not get a spring, he also cut me a $30 break on the chain, and gave me a clip type master link for free (chain came with rivet).

Then I go to start it, it will fire, but not stay running. Same thing that happened last spring, put a new plug in and it's fine. Only problem is the bike shop doesn't have the correct plug (they have DPR-Z's, but not the right heat range). So I'll probably end up getting one from the Honda shop. but they aren't open until Monday, and no-body else around here has them. I must have kicked and pushed my bike for a half hour, now I'm beat.

Also this morning my parents left for a 3 week vacation (driving out to the west coast and they're gonna go see all the stuff they can for 3 weeks, no plan really on where to go, just drive). So of COURSE something had to go wrong last night, a drain in the basement floor backed up and started leaking, so we did a temp fix, my parents left at 4 this morning. So I had to get up at 7:30 and run around getting stuff to fix it as good as I can.

Oh yeah, and I slipped on the ice on my sidewalk and my fat a$$ landed on my knee (that I injured last fall, which made me put the bike away a month early) and my hand, so I'm sore, tired, and worn out. I think it's a sign that I better go to the bar tonight :applause:

Sounds like you need to pour some Seafoam in your gas tank. Turn on your gas valve and drain some gas out of your carb bowl. Then let it sit, while you are at the bar. The Seafoam will clean all the tarnish in your gas tank and carb and it is relatively cheap, and you should be able to get it at your local parts store.

Sorry you fell dude, hope it isn't serious, those ligaments are a real drag as they don't tell you how bad they are messed up till later sometimes.

Would love to hear about how to change the shock oil, and anything for that matter on how to remove the spring, and get at the internals. I'm wanting to put an Eibach spring on my Racetech Gold Valved stock shock, and I need to reseal my XR's only revalved spare shock. Let me know if you have any tips.

Well, got my dad's spark plug wrench, had to use his tracked loader to move the snow from in front of storage container. Always makes me happy when I have to use one of his toys to get work done to my toy.

Took my plug out, hit it with a propane torch to burn off the carbon (it was pretty black, must be running rich, I'll have to take care of that), and cleaned it up with the wire wheel on the bench grinder, and put it back in my bike. First kick my bike started, didn't exactly purr like a kitten, kinda barked like an angry dog. Let it run for a few minutes and that familiar purring sound came through :applause:

So I had to go for my first ride of the year. Went down the road a few times, came back and checked everything, all seemed well. So I hit the highway and went to my dad's sawmill, went to check out the sawdust piles, see how hard they are. Shoulda known better :lol:

One quick blip of the throttle and I was on my ass. Get my first wipeout of the year on my first ride of the year, great :lol: Oh well, gotta get it over sometime.

Bike feels great, everything feels really solid on it. Resprung front end feels AWESOME, I have 15W oil in it, might be a tad on the heavy side, but I still have my clickers where I had them before with everything stock, I'm sure some adjustment will help. If not I'll go down to 10W. Rear shock is running 15W as well, so far it feels good. I won't know exactly what I want to do though until I can hit the trails and run some whoops and stuff. It does feel a lot more like a dirtbike now though, suspension is nice and firm (something I've never experienced before), not soft and mushy (something I've been putting up with for way to long).

Now all I need is taller bars and I think I'll be very happy this year.