Sign in to follow this  

Stealth Exhaust For Pitster ?

I bought my new favorite toy today, a pitster x3r. It rips, I love it. :lol:

Rode it at my brother-in-law's mini track today and got F-you phone call from their neighbors. They think it's too loud.:applause:

Anybody know of a silencer that will quiet it down a bit w/out giving up too many ponies?

I am not sure about the exact pipe that your bike comes with, but as with any pipe, if it is re-packable I would try that first. You can get some pretty good packing and really pack it tight. If you use some decent stuff, you will not lose any power but should easily take down the sound level a few db's. And buying packing is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying a new muffler !

If it is a sealed canister, then disregard this recommendation. Good luck !

Tell me what a DB snorkel is and where to get it and I'll look into it, Thanks

Well I think we should repack the stock silencer with more packing that would definetly quiet it.

The DB Snorkle isn't really intended for four strokes. What a buddy did was weld an XR-100 muffler on his Pitster 125X and it turned out as quiet as the Honda yet still ran well. A muffler from a CRF-150 or 230 (they're identical) would give you all the volume you'd ever need even if you built up a 146cc motor. Honda's stock mufflers actually flow pretty good--about the only place you really see a difference running an aftermarket pipe is at high RPM's.

To see what a Pitster looks like with an XR-100 muffler go to www.woodsrat.com (stealth pipe projects) and check out the pics of his bike. Why he didn't move it farther forward is beyond me--he had plenty of room to do so and it would have made for a much more sano installation. Performance-wise with a stock motor it ran great, though.

^^Only problem is, it sticks out four miles past the bike. The first time you loop it out, you're high dollar custom exhuast is toast. Props for trying to quieten these things down though, they're loud as hell stock. I wish more manufacturer's would start addressing this issue at production. While I like the fact that my pitbike sounds like a big bike, I'm not so sure my neighbors do.

if you can repack, then just do that ! many pipes can do this without any issues and it will not take any power and will lower noise by a ton.

^^Only problem is, it sticks out four miles past the bike. The first time you loop it out, you're high dollar custom exhuast is toast. Props for trying to quieten these things down though, they're loud as hell stock. I wish more manufacturer's would start addressing this issue at production. While I like the fact that my pitbike sounds like a big bike, I'm not so sure my neighbors do.

Yeah, as mentioned had he done it right it would have looked factory. It can be done--just do it!! Your neighbors will thank you later...

Like I said before Re pack it......you have no room to play with with the X3 exhaust all the clearences are tight.

On my Pitster X I took off the end cap on the exhuast and took out the little gold washer and put a washer with a smaller hole in it. The 1/2 inch washer seemed to quiet it down without taking much power away. If that does not work you are only out .25.:applause: That is the best part.

Ben

On my Pitster X I took off the end cap on the exhuast and took out the little gold washer and put a washer with a smaller hole in it. The 1/2 inch washer seemed to quiet it down without taking much power away. If that does not work you are only out .25.:applause: That is the best part.

Ben

OK the end cap is off (no easy task) none of those 2.5mm allens would budge so I ground a slot and used a slotted driver.

There is no gold washer in there, if there was, where would it be? Right between the end cap and packing? I think I know what your trying to tell me, use a smaller I.D. washer than the pipe I.D. to choke 'er down a bit. (not too much) I'll try it, but let me know if I'm way off base here.

Thanks, John

P.S. And of course I'll take P-50's advice and pack the Hell out of it

Ben

Same concept as a "Snuf-R-Not" that were used 40 years ago, except they had a knob to open or close 'em once you hacksawed the mufflers off...

Same concept as a "Snuf-R-Not" that were used 40 years ago, except they had a knob to open or close 'em once you hacksawed the mufflers off...

I see you're passing your wisdom on about being "QUITE". I'm all for that too. Yeah, I have to quite my X2 down as you know too. I'd like to see more threads or links for the minis on this subject. Thanks for the lead to your site WR!

On my Pitster X I took off the end cap on the exhuast and took out the little gold washer and put a washer with a smaller hole in it. The 1/2 inch washer seemed to quiet it down without taking much power away. If that does not work you are only out .25.:lol: That is the best part.

Ben

Hey Ben,

What model X Pitster do you have if its an Early X, X2, X2r Model the Exhaust can is totally different with the X3 model...Now the Guy is looking for something he hasn't got.....:lol: and Im hating to guess how much a OEM replacement is seeing a Aftermarket isn't availible as of yet....:applause:

Now John,

be careful as not to F anything up remember you can fasten it back up with Pop Rivets so No Biggie there. and yes Re-Pack the silencer but do not Solidly Hard-pack the Silencer use 2x more silencer Material but loosely pack it.

you will notice a Difference, I know what your Talking about with noize as Mine sounds like a Damn 450f

OK thanks 4 all the advice guys, it's repacked w/ no modification and it sounds the same as it did before. After 1 pkg of packing it was louder so I added some more.

Guess I'll have to live w/ it for a while like this cause I'm not gonna hack it up.

It's too nice.

I just rode my Pitster X4 around for an hour with the DBsnorkel on. There is no sign of heat issues despite riding in low gear in the mud a bit. It's not dead silent but, my wife said it's much quieter in the mud pit 3 houses down from me. It actually fit better than expected on the X4. If you get one, zip tie the sharkfin closed. That helped some on mine.

The DBsorkel guy is shy about 4 strokes like WR450's that make a lot of heat.

I am sorry that the repack did not work. I use Moose packing in mine and it did make a difference. I guess it was bad advice on my part, but I figured it would work. Please keep us posted on what you find that does work.