6.4 Powerstroke

Has anyone seen Fords new 6.4 liter turbodiesel. Its peak torque(650 ft lbs) is at 2000RPM:crazy:?:applause: Thats like a gasser! ? Why would you want to tow with that. GM.s new LMM Duramax is at 1600RPM, along with the 6.7 Cummins.

First of all, that is at the fly wheel,more like 400 - 450 ft/lbs at the wheels second a gasser gets it peak torque at aroun 5000- 5400 rpm's. There is not much difference between 1600 rpm's and 2000. Plus the new 6.4 has a twin turbo set up. What sucks about the new engines is that you have to use ULSD, if you don't it voids your warranty, also it is against the law to use non ULSD in them.

Has anyone seen Fords new 6.4 liter turbodiesel. Its peak torque(650 ft lbs) is at 2000RPM Thats like a gasser! ? Why would you want to tow with that. GM.s new LMM Duramax is at 1600RPM, along with the 6.7 Cummins.

That's mighty interesting to be concerned about, since the current diesel motor offered by Ford (6.0L) is rated at 325 hp @ 3,300 RPM's, and 570 ft lbs of torque @2,000 RPM's.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2007superduty/features/specs/

Cummins 6.7L inline six-325 hp and 610 ft lbs of torque @ 1600 RPM's and it's governed speed is 2900 RPM's.

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/ram_ratings.jsp

The Duramax is rated at 365 HP @ 3000 RPM's, and 660 ft lbs of torque @ 1600 RPM's.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/

While the new Ford motor makes it's torque a bit higher, high revving diesels are nothing new, Detroit Diesel used to manufacture a 2-stroke diesel, and they are still highly coveted by the marine folks-they love their screamin' diesels.

First of all, that is at the fly wheel,more like 400 - 450 ft/lbs at the wheels second a gasser gets it peak torque at aroun 5000- 5400 rpm's. There is not much difference between 1600 rpm's and 2000. Plus the new 6.4 has a twin turbo set up. What sucks about the new engines is that you have to use ULSD, if you don't it voids your warranty, also it is against the law to use non ULSD in them.

Good luck finding LSD in on-highway pumps. All road fuels in the US are ULSD as of Jan 1 2007.

In CA, you got it in Sept 1 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_low_sulphur_diesel

I bought the 03 6.0 when it first came out. Let me say, it was REALLY stupid of me to buy the first year of a new engine. Developed oil leaks everywhere that ford could not fix even with a know bad block casting from navistar. My xfer case and tranny were pulled several times in one year. the last time, they had to air chisel off the torque converter bolts! So with the terrible quality ford puts into their engineering combined with really poor customer service, I got rid of that POS losing 10K in one year... You would have to be crazy to be the first in line for this new 6.4 Sorry, Yes i am tainted, but feel I have a right to be after that adventure. I guess if they couldn't get a good run on the 6.0 vs the many good years of the 7.3, build a 6.4!

Good luck finding LSD in on-highway pumps. All road fuels in the US are ULSD as of Jan 1 2007.

In CA, you got it in Sept 1 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_low_sulphur_diesel

Here in southern IL, I've yet to find a station selling ULSD. All the pumps are still labeled LSD.

However I have had 4 unscheduled fuel filter changes and my fuel mileage has taken a hit in the last 5 months... so I suspect they may be slowly blending the ULSD in. :applause:

Here in southern IL, I've yet to find a station selling ULSD. All the pumps are still labeled LSD.

However I have had 4 unscheduled fuel filter changes and my fuel mileage has taken a hit in the last 5 months... so I suspect they may be slowly blending the ULSD in. :applause:

The law is that all on-road diesel sold in the continental US is supposed to be ULSD. Maybe it was so cold the decals wouldn't stick?

Another culprit for your filter restriction could be any bio blended fuels-bio does not react properly with most additive packages, and needs many times more the normal treatment concentration to provide similar protections.

The law is that all on-road diesel sold in the continental US is supposed to be ULSD. Maybe it was so cold the decals wouldn't stick?

Another culprit for your filter restriction could be any bio blended fuels-bio does not react properly with most additive packages, and needs many times more the normal treatment concentration to provide similar protections.

Don't they have to put up notices of biodiesel blends on the pumps? If so the stations I fuel at don't have BD. I've heard about BD clogging up filters which is why I havent bought any (unless they're mixing it without telling me)

Dunno about the ULSD, I cant believe they wouldnt have to put the new stickers on if they were selling it. The stickers still say "Low sulfur diesel, use in 2007 or newer engines is prohibited!"

Ive changed more fuel filters (between regular maintenace) in the last 6 months than I have in 10 years of driving commercial diesels combined... theres gotta be something behind that.

Has anyone seen Fords new 6.4 liter turbodiesel. Its peak torque(650 ft lbs) is at 2000RPM:crazy:?:applause: Thats like a gasser! ? Why would you want to tow with that. GM.s new LMM Duramax is at 1600RPM, along with the 6.7 Cummins.

My F150 peaks at 1800 RPMs

If ULSD and filters cause lower mileage, why bother purchasing a diesel?

because nothin else pulls like a diesel.

If you're the type that bought a diesel pickup thinking they're cheaper to drive, then you're gonna get burned. If you bought one because you tow alot and need the raw towing power then you'll be fine.

The 6.0 won't pull skim off gravy. Truly a gutless pig. :applause:

Havent driven one with a 5 speed or the new 6sp auto have ya?

They geared it to be gutless. a 4 speed auto with 3.73 rears on a motor that makes its peak power at over 4000rpms is just silly.

My truck with 4.10s and a 5 speed will pull great, and I'd imagine the 6 speed makes it even better.