Sign in to follow this  

Did I make a mistake??

:applause: I just put a D.I.D o-ring chain on my crf150f was this a mistake?

I need to know what type of lube to use too. its a harescramble/casual trail bike and the lube needs to be o-ring safe of course and resist dirt and dust build-up.

Not sure about the 150, but I know the 450R needs a $3 countershaft sprocket spacer with an ORing chain, to keep the wider chain from chewing into the engine case. For ORings, I like the liquid wrench white lithium grease in the spray can, and just yesterday I picked up a can of 3in1 brand HP Dry Lube. It's a PTFE formula safe for metal, rubber, etc. and doesn't attract dirt since it leaves no oily residue.

If you go to the sticky at the top of the CRF150\230 forum, one of the ways to squeeze more power out of the 150F is to go with a non o-ring or x-ring chain. There is definitely too much drag with the oem chain on my daughter's CRF150F and will be changed to an x-ring very soon. As far as chain care goes, some say that I am chainal retentive. I use a Moose Racing chain scrubber box with Simple Green to clean, and then after riding around the block to dry the chain, I use a light coating of Silkolene chain lube to preserve the x-rings. I ride at least 40 weekends a year and my chains look almost as good as new.:applause:

Clean the o-ring chain with whatever you wish, and hose it down with some WD40 or any lube of your choice to prevent rust.

There is no additional drag on a broken in and warmed up Oring chain. At least not measurable and the chain will last 10 times longer.

Dwight

I second WD40. Since an o-ring chain is internaly lubricated you only need to protect it from rusting and collecting dirt. Or a very licght coating of chain wax.

Don't use pressurized water to clean it though, as this will force water past the o-rings and ruin your chain.

I second WD40. Since an o-ring chain is internaly lubricated you only need to protect it from rusting and collecting dirt. Or a very licght coating of chain wax.

Don't use pressurized water to clean it though, as this will force water past the o-rings and ruin your chain.

Been pressure washing my bike for years, never had trouble, and as long as you know what you're doing, it's hard to cause problems. It's when you crank the washer full throttle and move slow that you ruin things.

about every 10 hours, i remove my o-ring, and scrub it clean, then soak it in 90w gear oil for an hour or so, then i let it drip off over night (or it causes a awfull mess) then between, i pressure wash, and coat with wd40. gotta watch the WD40 though, it is a cleaner more than a lubricater, but it does stop the rust.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but WD-40 is a piss-poor lubricant. WD stands for "Water Dispersal". It's a decent cleaner because it's mostly solvent with a little bit of light oil, hence the rust protection. I totally agree that using a plastic brush (never a wire brush as it tears up the o-rings) and WD-40 to clean the chain -- especially after washing -- is good practice, but you really need a proper lubricant.

You might get away with pressure washing an O-ring chain, but you should never, ever pressure wash a non-O-ring chain. No amount of WD-40 or lube can eliminate the water inside the plates and rollers. Chains get sloppy & loose due to rust more than actual friction wear on the steel parts.

The downside to a lot of "street" oriented chain lubes is that they're really tacky and trap grit. I always used PJ-1 on my street bikes, but since getting a DRZ, I have to re-think the lube issue. I just got a can of AiSyn synthetic chain lube. Claims not to trap dirt. I haven't used it yet, but I'm excited to see if it lives up to the claims.

WD-40 is great for cleaning and rust prevention. Afterwards I use white lithium grease. The same stuff you use in the lower end of a boat motor. Works great in a wet enviroment on the east coast. Don't really reccomend it for the dusty west coast riding.

WD-40 is great for cleaning and rust prevention. Afterwards I use white lithium grease. The same stuff you use in the lower end of a boat motor. Works great in a wet enviroment on the east coast. Don't really reccomend it for the dusty west coast riding.

Hey bloodrunner...I spotted a spray can of "New" 3-In-One professional H.P. Dry Lube a couple weekends ago at Advance Auto, figured a $4 wager couldn't hurt me too badly, so long as the can didn't blow up in the truck on the way home or something. I guinea-pigged the Silverado last night with it. QuickDry PTFE base claimed to be for metal, rubber, vinyl, glass and plastics (except clear polycarb and polystyrene). Says it's good for chains, cables, hinges, etc. Dry lubrication, corrosion protection, no oily residue and won't attract dirt and dust. I hit the hood and door hinges, hood latch, door handle and lock mechanisms, hood latch cable, parking brake cable, etc. After an overnight soak, and once I broke out the plasma cutter and made my way into the truck via the new hole in the drivers door...:eek:

It worked great. Said what it did and did what it said. I do believe I may have found my new favorite chain lube...the only trouble I had was trying to remember to keep shaking...it seems to be pretty heavy stuff. Takes some focus to keep the mixing ball rotating good at the bottom of the can...:applause: No full evaluations yet, but the preliminary results look good.

Does the stuff out looking a ghostly grey. The lithium stuff I use is from Advance auto and comes in a spray can also.

Sounds like you are on to something good there. Maybe even better than lithium. I'll have to stop by the store sometime and check it out. Lithium still has a tendancy to attract a little dust but the stuff doesn't rub off as easily as wax. Doesn't stain the aluminum either.

Does the stuff out looking a ghostly grey. The lithium stuff I use is from Advance auto and comes in a spray can also.

Sounds like you are on to something good there. Maybe even better than lithium. I'll have to stop by the store sometime and check it out. Lithium still has a tendancy to attract a little dust but the stuff doesn't rub off as easily as wax. Doesn't stain the aluminum either.

Yeah, I have a couple cans of Gunk spray white lithium. I like it, but at least for now, I'm thinking the 3in1 is gonna be an even better fit. (keep an eye on your PM's the next couple days, gonna send out the refined details on the HatMac trip)

Yeah, I have a couple cans of Gunk spray white lithium. I like it, but at least for now, I'm thinking the 3in1 is gonna be an even better fit. (keep an eye on your PM's the next couple days, gonna send out the refined details on the HatMac trip)

Cool I'll be looking for them. I'm still working on my bosses to see If I stay here instead of going out west in June.