Sign in to follow this  

Okay, learned something new...

I was in car care/engine service class. I heard a teacher talking, and it got to the point where he said there are clutch plates for each gear, so the ## of clutch plates depends on the ## of gears. Is that true? I never knew that.

I was in car care/engine service class. I heard a teacher talking, and it got to the point where he said there are clutch plates for each gear, so the ## of clutch plates depends on the ## of gears. Is that true? I never knew that.

In an automatic transmission on cars there are sepertate clutch packs for each individual gear.... In a manual transmission there is 1 clutch and pressure plate that is attached right to the flywheel and then transmission attached to it.

On bikes there is the wet clutch pack right on the transmission, mostly they have 8 fibers and 7 metal plates...

In automatics there is a piece of friction material called a "band" for each gear

In automatics there is a piece of friction material called a "band" for each gear

Than what the hells a torque converter for???

Autos use both a series of clutch packs, and bands, along with a torque converter.

And lots of other little details that Im not going to get into.

Auto trannys clutch packs are exactly the same as the clutch that is in a dirtbike, where the bands are basically a band of metal with clutch material on it, they grip waht is called the drum.

The amount of plates has no real relation to the amount of speed's the tranny has in autos and manuals.

Also, there is not a clutch pack for every speed that a trans has, I dont know this for ALL but the few that I have rebuilt usually have 1 less pack per their amount of speeds, so a 3 spd would have 2 clutch packs, 4 spd would have 3. allthough i dont know that to be a 100% fact.

My knowladge of auto trannys is minimal, just enough to do a simple overhaul of one.

-Josh