Sign in to follow this  

Doohickey Installation Problem

I just completed the installation of the doohickey. I followed the Eagle instructions and everything went back together easily. I torqued all the bolts to the specifications in the Clymer manual. I filled the bike with oil and tried to start it. It just turns over and over.

When I put the bike in 1st gear and pull the clutch in, the rear wheel stays locked-up when I push the bike. When the bike is in neutral, the rear wheel behaves normally.

All parts were accounted for during reassembly. The rotor seemed to seat properly with the key on the shaft too.

Does anyone have any ideas what went wrong?

The rear wheel locking up was just the clutch being cold and sticky. So that is no longer a symptom of the bike not starting.

Did you get the small blue doohickey or the large red one? Only one of them will work on your bike as described. Sometimes, they have to be rotated 90 degrees.

Now, what type of "doohickey" are you talking about and what bike are you working on?

Ride on

Brewster

It is silver. It's larger than the stock doohickey. It was a snug fit onto the shaft.

The bike is a 2007 with 515 miles.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I talked with Mike from Eagle. He had me take the outer cover and

rotor off again. When I did that, I saw that the woodruff key popped

out of its slot and had gotten smooshed between the rotor and the

starter wheel. This prevented the rotor from seating which caused the

timing to be off. This is why the bike would not start.

I ordered new parts from Mike.

I'm impressed that Mike saw and replied to my post on the KLR650 Yahoo

Group so quickly. Asking me to call him at home on a Sunday is

amazing. He was able to help me trouble shoot the problem over the

phone in less than 30 minutes. This is an example of excellent

customer service. You should all feel good about doing business with

Eagle and letting others know too.

-N

First, a partial appology to level7. I had never heard of the "Doohickey". I thought that you were using the generic term of doohickey...thingamabob, whatchamacallit, etc. It turns out that the term is used for the shift shaft lever on the big KLRs.

Second, when asking questions in the forums, it helps to include the model and year of the bike in question.

Ride on

Brewster

First, a partial appology to level7. I had never heard of the "Doohickey". I thought that you were using the generic term of doohickey...thingamabob, whatchamacallit, etc. It turns out that the term is used for the shift shaft lever on the big KLRs.

Second, when asking questions in the forums, it helps to include the model and year of the bike in question.

Ride on

Brewster

i also wondered what a doohickey was, but felt too stupid to ask, lol.

you learn something new everyday!

I had never heard of the "Doohickey".Brewster
Surprisingly (to me, anyway), Googling "KLR650 Doohickey" produces hits galore, like http://klr6500.tripod.com/doohickey.htm .

In this case, a term usually meaning, as you say, Brewster, a generic object, becomes the name of a specific part (LEVER,IDLER SHAFT, KLR650). Some day, the part may be so described in Kawasaki catalogs (as in, "Doohickey, P/N 13168-0046")! Can't think of anything else where this general-to-specific definition occurred.

One other thing that can cause the same symptoms is if the shims arn't replaced in the proper order. There's one on each side of the Rotor. Just be careful, it's an easy fix. (how do I know these things?)