Sign in to follow this  

Bent Front Rim and Flat Tire on 3rd ride, under 15 hours on bike...

It was my 3rd ride with this bike, and at Ocotillo Wells, I think it was all the damned rocks buried under the sand, or above them that must have bent the rim. I have been riding for over 2.5 years and never bent a rim on any of my other bikes before, and I've wrecked on them numerous times. I didn't even crash on this bike yet, this is just such b.s., its practically a brand new bike :lol::eek::applause::lol: . Looking for some suggestions on where I should be able to get the rim replaced in Southern California, San Diego Area.

Being a motorcycle mechanic for 39 years I can say that any good shop can lace and true a wheel for you, just pick one....

Will any 19 inch rim work is what I'm asking, I haven't seen any specifically for the 150R. I'm looking for a stronger rim than stock, not too happy with how bent the rim is, doesn't look fixable.

The first thing I did when I brought my home was to inspect and tighten the spokes. Almost all were loose. No matter whar make you buy, you always have to go right behind the manufacturer and check em over.

Yeah I will second that spoke checking ... Just checked ours today.... First nice day in awhile.... Half of front were loose.. Rear not some many.... About 5hrs max on new bike..... Will have to make sure its not a constant problem....

Nick

The spokes were tight enough until the wheel hit something hard and then the spokes came super loose, by then the wheel was already bent...Yeah check the spokes, but I've never had this problem on my other bikes, CRF230 and TTR125, and I've ridden them like I stole them and crashed them, and not one bent rim over 2 years. If you have ever ridden at CLark Canyon, the craziest deadliest trail I've ridden there was the path with a huge boulder at the start you have to ride up, and then it becomes purely a rock trail, and on the way down it is the rockiest path ever with boulders and rocks the whole way, once you start down it, there is no turning back. Well that path is the one that goes thru the peak and you practically have to walk your bike down the path or risk painful and damaging falls, and even then you risk falling and dropping your bike...if you don't know what I'm talking about, try riding down that path...well the point is I rode that path and still never bent a rim.

check out C&D on convoy, small full service shop and good prices... across the street from big 5 right next to the strip joint

where in sd are you?

There is nothing wrong with the wheels on the 150. This is a lightweight race bike built for kids. You are an adult. If you hit big rocks at speed, you are going to bend wheels. If you want bullet proof wheels that can handle adult abuse you may want to lace up some excel rims. Even then, if you hit the wrong thing just right, you'll bend them too.

There is nothing wrong with the wheels on the 150. This is a lightweight race bike built for kids. You are an adult. If you hit big rocks at speed, you are going to bend wheels. If you want bullet proof wheels that can handle adult abuse you may want to lace up some excel rims. Even then, if you hit the wrong thing just right, you'll bend them too.

+1

It's not that bad to have a bent rim. Kind of a right of passage. Excel wheels bend too. If you've bent a rim and didn't go down or even notice when it happened, you're doing fine. Just re-check your spokes and keep on riding.

Yeah the tire is flat and the rim is bent, kinda hard to keep riding, had to go back to the truck, drink a beer, then go look for the bike somewhere in the middle of Ocotillo. Had a few people with me to sit there and make sure nobody stole the bike. It took about an hour to figure out where in the hell I left the bike, and it only took like 5 minutes to get back to camp...lmao.

I got just the rim for you and you will NEVER bend it...I used these on my bike

(picture) and it has been perfect ever since.....Good Luck I hope this helps you

kamakazifred.jpg

What an awesome Photoshop of the person on the bike. Not very ergonomic with the clutch lever coming out of his shoulder.

You're hilarious BC, thats friggin awesome..well I just needed a new tube, no need to replace the rim with just the small bend in it, according to one of the guys at the dealer. Thanks anyway.