Sign in to follow this  

another bike vs.

Question better bike for dualsporting KTM exc525 or Husky te510.

I am coming off of a kawi KLX250s looking for a big bore with wheelies on demand (2nd-4th and maby 5th gear) and good suspension for agressive single track to be fair I am posting this on both the Husky and the KTM board.

what ever you do dont buy the drz! it's ok but it is a toy compared to te 450.

as for the ktm i cant tell you about them. but with 1 you chose its more of your ridding style and your prefrance with the components on either bike. and how it will hurt your wallet!

You have already chosen wisely be it Husky or that orange brand.

I came off a klr250 and have a te250 - gained 2x the power, 10x the suspension, lost 50lbs, and what weight there was was much lower and farther back.

How fast do you want to get to the trails - 70mph freeway or 50mph back roads?

How fast is this single track?

Racing?

Tough choice. If you want more streetability the KTM has a wider gearbox, for dirt I would prefer the close ratio Husky tranny. Both bikes handle very differently IMO, if you could find a way to ride both and see what you like better then your choice would be made easier. I prefer Husky right now but thats just me, I like the fact that there is not one around every corner like those pumpkins. Either way your looking at 2 quality machines.

Tough choice. If you want more streetability the KTM has a wider gearbox, for dirt I would prefer the close ratio Husky tranny. Both bikes handle very differently IMO, if you could find a way to ride both and see what you like better then your choice would be made easier. I prefer Husky right now but thats just me, I like the fact that there is not one around every corner like those pumpkins. Either way your looking at 2 quality machines.

I 2nd that opinion. Well said!:applause:

Yes a test ride comparison would be nice but both dealers are a preatty good trek away and not even sure if either place does test rides. And I don't know anyone who has either of the beasts.

what ever you do dont buy the drz!

Funny you say that because that was actually a consideration so I questioned the DRZ forum with the same question of which bike and most said somthing like "The DRZ is a good bike, BUT not the quality of a husky or Ktoom." So that helped me realize that that was not what I wanted.

Both are great machines honestly. You ARE on the Husky side of the fence here so you'll see some bias. I have owned a few of the orange bikes, like to poke fun at them like the rest, but they are good machines. Like someone said up a few the gearbox on the EXC will be a little better for the street but I love the close ratio off-road for the TE. You'll love either bike I'm sure. Great build quality.

This comparison has been made many times before in this forum. Do a search and you will find a lot of good info.

I have both a TE and an EXC. Both great bikes. For general trail riding with occasional street use (just to connect trials), I prefer the TE. It is a more performance oriented bike.

R

easy decision. Husqvarna TE-510 short stroke motor, close ratio transmission, excellent linked rear suspension and great front suspenion too. managable yet power to spare powerband, turns great. Drop in the JD jet kit and it wheelies on demand.

KTM 525 needs a steering damper, non linked rear suspension dances around on rocks, orange, deep long stroke motor. yuck is my personal opinion. That bike should be sold to farmers, put a plow on the back of it.

I'm sure the KTM boys are trashing the Husky. I say Ride the Wolf! comes street legal

IF you can plate a Husaberg in Carolina , consider the FE550e. Short stroke, lightest of the three and wide ratio tranny, better suspension then the orange tractor.

Husky strengths:

$1000 less than Orange.

Better handling/suspension

Better motor for single track

Less common

KTM strenghts:

More common

KTM Hardparts catalogue

Both great bikes.

Husky strengths:

$1000 less than Orange.

Better handling/suspension

Better motor for single track

Less common

KTM strenghts:

More common

KTM Hardparts catalogue

Both great bikes.

+1:thumbsup:

just got a 05 -510te, ridden a lot of bikes but i can't say i've ridden one that goes harder.

I didn't know they sold them in your area.

Both bikes are very cabable off road mostly, dual sports, BUT park them side by side and the husky just plain looks WAY better. My neighbor :applause: just bought an orange 525 ktm EXC and was drooling over my 07 TE510:worthy: . Said he tried to buy one and they were all out at the husky shop he went to. After seeing both bikes parked side by side, I'm glad I got the husky:ride: .

ride the KTM 525 and Husly TE510 back to back and you'll really be glad.