Sign in to follow this  

20" front wheels, for what?

I did a search and couldnt find anything, although im sure its been discussed before.

What are 20" front wheels for?

I know 17s are for SM and 18" rears are for offroad, but i just recently have been seeing 20" fronts, whats it all about? Pros? Cons?

One race team uses them to cure a problem certain Yamahas have. Just read the same question in a mag. before I got on the computer. What a coincidence.

I not sure of the reason but my CR250 has a 21 inch front, comes stock (:

All full sized bikes come with 21 in. front wheels stock. I think the 20's are the same width. Not sure. There is a yamaha team that uses them. The mag. said it helped cover up a problem they had with them off-road. It said it wouldn't have the same affect on other bikes.

All full sized bikes come with 21 in. front wheels stock. I think the 20's are the same width. Not sure. There is a yamaha team that uses them. The mag. said it helped cover up a problem they had with them off-road. It said it wouldn't have the same affect on other bikes.

Basically, when you turn the bars on a Yamaha, pretty much nothing happens. The 20" front makes nothing happen a little bit quicker.

The early CRF's had a 20" avaliable as an option from the dealer. I tried one and didn't see that much difference, so I switched back. There's also not much of a selection in tires for 20" compared to standard 21" wheels.

basically offered a wider contact patch,same thing as the new wider 21's available.Never really caught on,which is why they aren't really scene these days.

Anyone remember the Honda XR that had a 23" front wheel? It looked goofy.

Goofy is a good description of those 23" wheels. Honda has a history of weird wheels and tires. Some work, some don't. Remember the "variable spacing" rear tires that came on late '70's Cr's? They had tightly spaced knobs on part of the tire and wider spacing on other parts of the same tire. If I remember right, they actually worked very well, don't know why they never caught on.

Anyone remember the Honda XR that had a 23" front wheel? It looked goofy.

My dad still has his... The mighty 1978 XL500S, runs like a champ. :applause:

I believe the 20" front wheel was an option that was used so you could run a wider front tire. Most tire manufactures now offer a 90/100/21 which basically give you the same effect as using the 20" wheel. I've never used the 90/100/21 but want to try one out. I think some 450's come with this size front tire stock.

Larocco ran a 20" for a good while. Remember that 70s CR125 with the 23" and it had a slow motor to boot.

Craigus

I believe the 20" front wheel was an option that was used so you could run a wider front tire. Most tire manufactures now offer a 90/100/21 which basically give you the same effect as using the 20" wheel. I've never used the 90/100/21 but want to try one out. I think some 450's come with this size front tire stock.

What he said, except for the part about wanting to try one. The 20" wheel was basically a fad.

Try one guys, awesome. Japanese engineers designed the 20'' after the aluminum frames came to be a "problem". Love the 20 on my CRF.