Sign in to follow this  

DRZ190L bigger wheels/extended swingarm?

Between my WR250f and my DRZ190, the DRZ is more fun. But for the trails I ride, the WR chassis is a lot better. Even with my KX100 forks and CR85 shock. I'd sell the WR if I could get the DRZ to work better over the roots, and if I could get a little more ground clearance.

I'm thinking bigger wheels, and slightly longer wheelbase. Maybe a 20 or 21" front, and 17 or 18" rear. The front would be easy to do, just get a new rim/spokes, the KX forks have lots of room for that. The rear, not so easy. Ideally, I'd do a rear disc/swingarm conversion from an 85 or 100; but maybe extending the stock swingarm would be fine. With the stock swingarm, I don't know if there is enough forward clearance for a bigger wheel, that is why I'm thinking of trying to extend it, maybe by 1 1/2 inches.

Has anyone thought of or even done this? I know that SIKK has a cool trail bike out with 21" front/19" rear, that looks like a blast but "only" 9hp :applause:

Looking for comments / ideas......

I picked up an older kx and the swing arm is different but not in length as compared to the drz, 22 inches from front mount center to the rear most part of the swing arm not including the adjuster. There is room for a bigger wheel, Looks like an inch but it would be very close. I have done no research on this but you might want to see what it would take (could be a lot) to mount up an old 125 swing arm giving you the wheelbase and bigger wheel in one shot? I would assume that increasing the wheelbase only in the back might screw up the handling but without increasing the rake I dont know how you would do it evenly.

The older DR125 and DR125E (1988-1996) both had 18/21 wheels. If you could find one the swingarm might swap out without too much trouble. Or put that 190 motor into the DR125 chassis.

Trentec, if the swingarm is the same length as the DRZ, I don't think I could go bigger on the wheel?

ProCycle, thanks a bunch for that info. I'll look into it. I know there is an SP200 at the local salvage yard, I'll check into that rear end also.

The crossmember is located a little different and thinner, square tube I think. But it would be too close in my opinion anyways.

for the swing arm, i have extended mine, just for the hell of it. anyway, i just took it to the grinder with a diamond razor wheel, and cut it just after the bend on the swing arm,(on the long straight tube, that directly connects to the wheel,) anyway, i cut it on both sides, then took a piece of square steel bar, and cut it to size, then inserted it, then welded a one inch gap on each side, and then since there was a gap in it, i filled it in with bondo, fiber glass repair, then repainted my swing arm.

also for the front wheel, idk if the 21 inch. will work because of clearance. i just put a new tire on mine, and when i bottom, it justt barely clears it.

But if you want some help or more advise on it, pm me,

:applause::eek:

I got a few parts dr/sp bikes if you need info let me know.Iwill let the parts go very cheap.