Sign in to follow this  

What a difference 1 tooth makes.

Been riding with the new 14t front sprocket instead of the 13t on my 2005 KX250 and I am amazed at the differece 1 tooth made. The bike is so much more controllabe, and esspecially in sandy tracks it is goin great and now rarely do I find myself 5th gear pinned! And another great thing is that my corner speed as also greatly improved because no longer am I fighting it in and out of the corners, but it now just flows in and out of them very smoothly. I highly recommed doin this if you use you 05-07 KX250 in the bush or woods.:applause:

Good deal...what are you running in the rear..?

I have 13/50 on my 99 kx250, and it pulls great down low, but there are other things you can do to improve the low end too.

I wish I could say I pin 5th gear on mine!

Been riding with the new 14t front sprocket instead of the 13t on my 2005 KX250 and I am amazed at the differece 1 tooth made. The bike is so much more controllabe, and esspecially in sandy tracks it is goin great and now rarely do I find myself 5th gear pinned! And another great thing is that my corner speed as also greatly improved because no longer am I fighting it in and out of the corners, but it now just flows in and out of them very smoothly. I highly recommed doin this if you use you 05-07 KX250 in the bush or woods.:applause:

With 14/49 gearing my KX500 GPS'ed 82 mph. I swapped to a 15T front sprocket, and the big girl pulled 91 mph. Too bad I have no more safe ice, as I had a 16T front ready to be bolted on ! :eek:

So, yes swapping front sprockets is very impactive on the drivability of a bike. The reason for a bike to be "easier" to drive with a 1 tooth larger front sprocket, is you have placed a bigger load on the engine, which causes the engine to rev slower. In many cases this is a positive thing (especially if traction is a problem).

I am quite the opposite.

I went from a 51 rear sproket to a 53 rear sproket.

I ride at times Sx tracks so i wanted the extra acelleration boost.

In the woods i loved it because i am always in the powerband to power wheelie tthrough stuff, and it makes me ride more aggresively.

It just made all the rides even more fun.

I dont miss the top end speed because on wide open roads i dont even bother riding them at wfo. I find it boring and very harsh on the engine.

On these wide open roads i prefer to ride on a slower gear wheeling at every oportunity and just having fun.

On the tight woods it is easier to ride because it stalls less, not that i stalled often with the other sproket, but it seems easier since you always have power to move the wheel.

When i go through sand i always ride a gear higher like a thumper and the problem gets solved.

A friend of mine on the other hand, who is a very bad rider btw, went to a 3 tooth lower rear sproket on his already weak and lame crf 250. now he isnt able to go through sand and riding in tight woods became a nightmare to him.... I guess it all goes down to personal preference.