My take on ebay lowering links

My biggest problem with the KLX is the seat height. I am 5' 7" but I have short legs. Don't ask me my inseam I don't have any idea, I do know all my trousers I buy have to shortened at least 4" - 6". I was dropping the bike far too much when we got into tough going.

I think most of you have seen the lowering links on ebay by now. If not here is the link. Now I purchased both the 1" and the 2" lowering links seeing as they were only $19 each.

dogbones.jpg

I tried the 2" links first and found it to be useless for my weight of 240lbs. They lowered the bike great but bottomed out far too easily on the smallest of bumps and jumps. They seemed to overcome the spring and made it really soft I believe this is because of the geometry of the rising rate suspension. For someone who was short and very light it might work ok.

So this weekend I tried the 1" lowering link and I must say I am very happy with it. The bike seemed to have as much suspension as it did before and the height was reduced enough so I didn't drop the bike when I got into tight situations. I was able to jump the bike the way I could with the original links and I don't think I bottomed out (maybe once not sure). During the week I will set up the sag and preload etc and try again next weekend, yes I have had my bike 15 months and never set up the suspension.

I know I should have it done professionally and get the correct weight springs and I almost did when I tried the 2" lowering links but I don't ride competition, I don't ride fast, I just trail ride and I have already sunk a fair bit of money into the bike so I'll stick to the cheap way for now.

Cheers

Garry

Are you going to try the two inch link again with the preload adjusted? I think it's certainly worth a try. At any rare, can you let us know the outcome of your next round of testing? Thanks.

No. As far as I am concerned the 2" link is too long and just plain overcomes the spring tension. It may be suitable for a very light rider but for my weight it is useless.

I'm no expert on how the rear suspension works but thats the way it felt to me. I will report back when I have setup the sag and been for another ride. Probably be a week or 2.

Does your original have a steel bush in the holes? The reason I ask is that I have just removed mine to measure up to make some shorter raising links & mine have a steel bush fitted to the holes.

I notices that the ebay ones do not. Given that the linkage ratio appears to be about 10:1 there is quite a load on some components. They may wear if they start rotating on the bolts.

I'd be keeping a bit of an eye on them.

Cheers

Linesy

Does your original have a steel bush in the holes? The reason I ask is that I have just removed mine to measure up to make some shorter raising links & mine have a steel bush fitted to the holes.

I notices that the ebay ones do not. Given that the linkage ratio appears to be about 10:1 there is quite a load on some components. They may wear if they start rotating on the bolts.

I'd be keeping a bit of an eye on them.

Cheers

Linesy

The only differences with the ebay links and the stock (apart from length) is they are aluminium instead of steel and they are a little thicker than stock. Both the stock and the ebay links fit over the shaft on the mounting bolts (p/n 92150A). The threaded part of the bolts protrude past the links and the nuts do up tight against the links. The ebay links are a tight fit on the bolts whereas the stock links are a little loose. This makes the ebay links more difficult to fit as the tolerances are closer than stock, however I would assume they won't move about either where the stock ones might.

Cheers

Garry

convert-1.png

Steering response will slow if the forks are kept at stock position with lowering links used. There will all be less tendency for tuck under (oversteer) or wheel slide at full lock leaned over. The opposite will be true when raising forks in triple clamps. However, DP bikes tend to have pretty moderate geometry in the front end, so raising or lowering does not create instant extremes.

I've lowered street bikes before and lowering the front end helps get the bike down overall.