Sign in to follow this  

what bike to get

Hi boys,

I am an old roadracer. The older I get the faster I was, you know.

Looking to get into offroad. But I am confused about what to get. I will be doing some trail riding and some MX. I am 6 foot 185 and 40.

I am considering CRF250R, CRF450R, and CRF450X. Im not really considering the smokers at this time.

What do yall recommend?

TIA

If you do more off-roading than anything else, get the x. 250 or 450 is up to you. You would find the 450 very good IMO for your height and weight. The 250 may be lacking a bit in power with a heavier rider, but at 185 your not doin too bad. You would probably find the 250 easier to learn on at the track if your new at mx or a slow learner or whatever the case may be. The 450 is a very powerful bike however, and you would especially notice that on the trails. It will tire you out very quickly with the added weight and height as opposed to the 250 and if its a tight trail where you need to touch the ground alot. If you can test drive both, that would be the best thing to do. you would probably find the 250 alot more fun to drive. Just stick with the hondas though! I'm no expert but this just what i feel. good luck!

Well I'm 6foot 2" round 190 pounds, 17years old and my lil crf250r is well able to haul my ass, will stick with the 450's no prob on the mx track even off the line. Try to get a ride on a few of them, I never rode a 450 so I can't give you any feedback there.

If you have wide open spaces to ride there in Texas, then a 450 is a modern marvel. Just be aware they are fiercely powerful. If you are in Hill Country, then you might find the 250 more fun. It won't lack that much power and will be an easier, less tiring bike to ride in tighter stuff.